Kate Middleton and Prince William to Give Away Lucky Pennies to Mark Baby's Arrival
To celebrate the birth of their forthcoming baby, Prince William and Duchess of Cambridge Kate Middleton will be giving away lucky silver pennies to any babies who will be born on the same day as their first born child. The royal couple, through the Royal Mint, will be preparing 2,013 sterling silver coins bearing the figure 2013 to mark the year of birth as well as the shield of the Royal Arms.
Depending on the baby's gender, the coin will be handed over in either a blue or pink pouch, a package that the royal baby and future heir to the British throne will also be receiving. The crossing of a new born baby's palms with silver is a time-honored tradition of wishing the child luck, health, and wealth.
In a statement, the Royal Mint said, "It will also be a special day for many mothers and fathers across the country as they too welcome the arrival of their new baby, hence why we wanted to extend this historical moment to them with a lucky silver penny." The royal baby is expected to arrive soon, as the July 11 due date draws near.
Middleton is set to give birth to the future monarch at the St. Mary's Hospital, Paddington, Central London, the same hospital where Prince William was born 31 years ago. Late last year, the Duchess was admitted at the King Edward VII Hospital in Central London for experiencing morning sickness due to the pregnancy.
- Comic-Con: 'Guardians of the Galaxy 2' Footage and 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' Villain Revealed
- Leonardo DiCaprio Reunites With Nina Agdal After 'Caught Flirting' With Another Woman at His Gala
- Watch Henry Cavill Walk Around in Mask and Hilariously Prank Will Smith at Comic-Con
- Comic-Con: New 'Fantastic Beasts' Trailer Shows Newt Scamander Recapturing the Creatures
- Gwen Stefani's Son Kingston Sings Blake Shelton's Song While Face-Swapping With Him
- Comic-Con: Check Out Trailers for 'Flash' Season 3, 'Arrow' Season 5 and 'Legends' Season 2
- Refusing to Enter Rehab, Lamar Odom Walks Out of Family's Intervention
- Kristen Bell Shares First Photos From Her Wedding While Tearing Up Talking About Hubby Dax Shepard