Kate Middleton and Prince William to Give Away Lucky Pennies to Mark Baby's Arrival
To celebrate the birth of their forthcoming baby, Prince William and Duchess of Cambridge Kate Middleton will be giving away lucky silver pennies to any babies who will be born on the same day as their first born child. The royal couple, through the Royal Mint, will be preparing 2,013 sterling silver coins bearing the figure 2013 to mark the year of birth as well as the shield of the Royal Arms.
Depending on the baby's gender, the coin will be handed over in either a blue or pink pouch, a package that the royal baby and future heir to the British throne will also be receiving. The crossing of a new born baby's palms with silver is a time-honored tradition of wishing the child luck, health, and wealth.
In a statement, the Royal Mint said, "It will also be a special day for many mothers and fathers across the country as they too welcome the arrival of their new baby, hence why we wanted to extend this historical moment to them with a lucky silver penny." The royal baby is expected to arrive soon, as the July 11 due date draws near.
Middleton is set to give birth to the future monarch at the St. Mary's Hospital, Paddington, Central London, the same hospital where Prince William was born 31 years ago. Late last year, the Duchess was admitted at the King Edward VII Hospital in Central London for experiencing morning sickness due to the pregnancy.
- Watch Barden Bellas Dance in 'Pitch Perfect 3' Behind-the-Scenes Video
- James Marsden Is Under Consideration to Join 'Green Lantern Corps' as Hal Jordan
- Blake Lively 'Livid' Over Ryan Reynolds' Possible Reunion With Ex-Wife Scarlett Johansson
- The Weeknd Reunites With Selena Gomez at a Club After Running Into Ex Bella Hadid
- 'The Lost City of Z' Gets New International Trailer
- Peter Dinklage's New Red Hair May Hint at His 'Avengers: Infinity War' Role
- Future Enjoys Lavish Getaway in Dubai in New Video for 'Poppin' Tags'
- James Cameron and 'Deadpool' Director Tim Miller Team Up for New 'Terminator' Movie