The Situation Loses Trademark Infringement Lawsuit Against Abercrombie and Fitch
Reality TV show star Mike "The Situation" Sorrentino may yet be having his worst birthday ever today after losing the lawsuit he filed against clothing retailer Abercrombie & Fitch. The "Jersey Shore" cast member sued the company back in November 2011 over shirts that allegedly infringed on his famous nickname and another term associated with his show.
Sorrentino claimed A&F violated his legal copyright when it came out with shirts bearing the slogans "The Fitchuation" and "GTL Fitch" ("GTL" stands for "Gym Tan Laundry," a lifestyle made popular by the MTV reality series.) The 32-year-old TV personality had demanded A&F to pull-out the shirts from stores, saying it amounted to exploitation, which they dismissed, resulting to Sorrentino proceeding to file a lawsuit against them, asking $4 million in damages.
However, based on the ruling on the case, poor timing has worked against Sorrentino, with U.S. Magistrate Judge John O'Sullivan saying that he did not properly trademark the terms "The Situation" and "Gym Tan Laundry" early enough for the actions of A&F to amount to copyright infringement. The Florida federal judge added that Sorrentino "did not offer apparel until after A&F introduced its parody T-shirt, and even then only on their website, officialsituation.com."
Abercrombie & Fitch welcomed the good news in a statement, saying, "We believed that the complaint against us was frivolous from the beginning, and we feel fully vindicated by the result. As to the underlying issues, we think that the entire matter is yesterday's news."
- 'The Voice' Season 12 Sneak Peek: Watch 29-Year-Old J. Chosen Blow the Coaches' Mind
- Sinead O'Connor Apologizes for Saying Arsenio Hall Gave Prince Drugs
- See Lethal Charlize Theron in New 'Atomic Blonde' Poster
- Brooklyn Beckham Gets Dating Advice From Anais Gallagher
- Nicole Scherzinger Goes Underwear Free in Dazzling Dress at BRIT Awards After-Party
- 'This Is Us' to Bring Back Ron Cephas Jones in Season 2 After That Emotional Road Trip
- Gigi and Bella Hadid Go Vampy for Milan Fashion Week
- NBC's 'Taken' Opening Scene Reveals How Bryan Mills' Sister Is Murdered