Elton John Slams 'The Voice' for Focusing on the Coaches
In the name of his love to music, Elton John slams a reality show which helps scout singing talent and launch their careers. The "Candle in the Wind" singer recently blasted TV singing competitions, "The Voice" in particular, for producing "nonentities."
" 'The Voice' is all about watching the judges, it is in America," John said during an interview with the BBC Radio 4, as quoted by the U.K.'s Telegraph. "Nobody on 'The Voice' in America has had a hit record. They're nonentities."
He went on revealing his frustration over an express way offered by TV shows to launch someone's into stardom. "Television and video have done a lot of damage to music. They've propelled people into stardom that aren't ready for it, you know, and can't sustain it," he claimed.
The 66-year-old pop rock artist added, "And they're only as good as the next song. I hate that. I hate people being cast aside. It breaks my heart to see people like Michelle McManus who won 'Pop Star' [Pop Idol], whatever it was, but it's not fair."
John also mentioned Justin Bieber when talking about being famous at young age. "Unless you have got real gravitas and you have earned your corn, it is going to be hard for you to stay sane, it is going to be hard for you to maintain your career and you may end up being a bitter nonentity," he explained. "I wouldn't want to be Justin Bieber or any of those young artists, it is tough on them."
Regardless the discouragement by John, "The Voice" U.S. will return with its fifth season Monday, September 23 at 8 P.M. on FOX with a two-hour premiere. The show will feature the original coach line-up, with Christina Aguilera and Cee-Lo returning alongside Adam Levine and Blake Shelton in the panel.
More The Voice News
- 'Game of Thrones' Stars Talk About the Bloodbath and Power Transfer in Season Finale
- Deadpool Makes Surprise Appearance in 'X-Men: Apocalypse' Japanese Trailer
- 50 Cent Arrested in the Caribbean for Saying 'Motherf**ker' at Music Festival
- Adele Burps While Taking Selfie With a Fan Onstage. See the Hilarious Video
- Rihanna Previews New Song 'Sledgehammer' From 'Star Trek Beyond'
- Mariah Carey Shows Off Bare Butts at Her DJ Debut in Las Vegas
- Justin Timberlake Attacked by Twitter Users for His Comment on Jesse Williams' BET Awards Speech
- Artist of the Week: Calvin Harris