Mick Jagger's Hair Sells for $6,000 at Auction
Mick Jagger's hair cut 50 years ago by then-girlfriend Chrissie Shrimpton, the sister of model Jean Shrimpton, has been bought for $6,000 at Bonhams auction in central London. Proceeds will be donated to the Changing Faces charity, which helps people who have suffered facial disfigurements.
The money earned from the sale of the lock exceeded the projection, double the amount it was initially estimated. There were rumors that the rocker himself would try to buy it through a phone bidder, but the auction house only confirmed that the item went to a U.K.-based private collector.
The Guardian reports Jagger's hair also proved to be four times more highly-valued than that of bandmate Keith Richards which was sold for around $1,500 when it was once auctioned. The most-expensive hair, however, belongs to Elvis Presley. It fetched $15,000 in 2010.
The frontman of The Rolling Stones, now 69, met Chrissie during his pre-superstar days while he was a student at the London School of Economics. Chris, now 67, sent the rocker's hair in an envelope with message, "Mick Jagger's hair after being washed + trimmed by Chris at Rose Hill Farm."
Other memorabilia going under the hammer at the auction included a set of handwritten lyrics by British singer David Bowie for his song "The Jean Genie" and a guitar owned by Led Zeppelin's Jimmy Page. The former was sold for 18,750 pounds and the latter was sold for 26,250 pounds.
More Mick Jagger News
- Amber Rose Cozying Up to 'DWTS' Pro Val Chmerkovskiy at Her Birthday Party
- Fans Petition 'Deadpool 2' to Hire Quentin Tarantino After Tim Miller's Exit
- It's Not a Perfect Illusion. Lady GaGa Exposes Bare Crotch in Super Tiny Shorts
- Watch President Obama's Perfect Response to Donald Trump's Mean Tweet
- Khloe Kardashian and Tristan Are 'Getting Serious' as She Finalizes Divorce From Lamar Odom
- New 'John Wick: Chapter Two' Images Reveal Bruce Lee's 'Enter the Dragon'-Inspired Setting
- Kourtney Kardashian Channels Evil Queen in Halloween Costume
- Watch Dwayne Johnson Sing 'You're Welcome' in New 'Moana' Clip