Mick Jagger's Hair Sells for $6,000 at Auction
Mick Jagger's hair cut 50 years ago by then-girlfriend Chrissie Shrimpton, the sister of model Jean Shrimpton, has been bought for $6,000 at Bonhams auction in central London. Proceeds will be donated to the Changing Faces charity, which helps people who have suffered facial disfigurements.
The money earned from the sale of the lock exceeded the projection, double the amount it was initially estimated. There were rumors that the rocker himself would try to buy it through a phone bidder, but the auction house only confirmed that the item went to a U.K.-based private collector.
The Guardian reports Jagger's hair also proved to be four times more highly-valued than that of bandmate Keith Richards which was sold for around $1,500 when it was once auctioned. The most-expensive hair, however, belongs to Elvis Presley. It fetched $15,000 in 2010.
The frontman of The Rolling Stones, now 69, met Chrissie during his pre-superstar days while he was a student at the London School of Economics. Chris, now 67, sent the rocker's hair in an envelope with message, "Mick Jagger's hair after being washed + trimmed by Chris at Rose Hill Farm."
Other memorabilia going under the hammer at the auction included a set of handwritten lyrics by British singer David Bowie for his song "The Jean Genie" and a guitar owned by Led Zeppelin's Jimmy Page. The former was sold for 18,750 pounds and the latter was sold for 26,250 pounds.
- 'KUWTK' Returns for Another Season as 'Life of Kylie' Ends Up Being a Flop
- 'Downtown Abbey' Movie Is in the Works
- Rob Kardashian Is Lawyering Up Against Blac Chyna
- Angelina Jolie and Charlize Theron Are Feuding Over 'Bride of Frankenstein' Role
- Nick Jonas to Embrace 'Positivity' in His New Album
- 'Glee' Star Charice Pempengco Changes Name to Jake Zyrus. Is She Transitioning?
- Girls Lined Up to Give Tom Cruise Blow Job on Set of 'Risky Business', Co-Star Reveals
- Courtney Stodden Strips Down to Tiny Underwear to Perform Striptease