Celine Dion Denies Stealing Adele and Daniel Merriweather's Song
Daniel Merriweather's duet with Adele, "Water and a Flame", will be featured on Celine Dion's upcoming album. However, during her visit to Katie Couric's talk show in April, Dion didn't give Merriweather credit for writing the song. For that reason, the Australian singer/songwriter decided to pen an open letter to Dion on his Facebook page.
In his open letter, Merriweather said that he was happy to have other singer covering his song. "But there is an age old etiquette amongst artists that one gives credit where credit is due," he wrote. "Just be mindful of the fact that songs are a connection to the ether, and an insight to our inner most thoughts and feelings and for some of us it may be all we will ever have."
Now, Dion's management has responded to the song-stealing accusation. In a statement posted on Dion's official website, the management said that Merriweather had totally misunderstood the situation. The statement said, "Before playing the song, Katie asks Celine about her 'new favorite artist', Adele."
"Celine tells Katie how much she loves Adele. Celine continues by talking about 'Water and a Flame' ... about how much she loves it... and how it's a bit different from what she's used to singing," the statement continued.
"She doesn't mention anything about who wrote the song. Despite the headlines that have emerged from Daniel's publicity, Celine certainly doesn't claim in any way whatsoever that she wrote the song," the statement read before saying that Dion received "many disparaging comments" due to Merriweather's accusation.
"Throughout Celine's 32 year career she has always been very vocal about sharing the credit for her successes. She has been very vocal about the fact that she does not write her own songs... and that she is fortunate to have wonderful and talented writers to provide these gifts to her," the statement added. Dion rarely talked about the songwriters in the interviews, but she always included "complete and accurate writer credits in an updated bio" once her album is released.
More Celine Dion News
- First Official Look at Emma Watson and Dan Stevens in 'Beauty and the Beast'
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Star Keegan Allen Tweets His Phone Number
- Armie Hammer Accidentally Reveals Sex of His Unborn Baby
- Kelly Osbourne Settles Lawsuit With Dad Ozzy's Mistress
- Donald Trump Has His Own Porn Video Despite Bashing Alicia Machado for Her Sex Tape
- 'Criminal Minds' Finds Thomas Gibson's Replacement, John Legend Lands 'Underground' Role
- Kim Kardashian Pays Tribute to Late Dad With Throwback Video on His Death Anniversary
- Colin Trevorrow Says 'Jurassic World 2' Will Have More Scares and Animatronic Dinosaurs