Lou Reed Praises Kanye West's 'Yeezus'
Kanye West's latest album, "Yeezus", has impressed Lou Reed. In a review published Tuesday, July 2 on a website called The Talkhouse, Reed, who spent the weekend being hospitalized due to dehydration, continuously praised West's latest release and called it "enormous" and "beautiful."
"There are moments of supreme beauty and greatness on this record, and then some of it is the same old s**t," the 71-year-old rocker said of the chart-topping album. "People say this album is minimal. And yeah, it's minimal. But the parts are maximal."
"Actually, the whole album is like a movie, or a novel -each track segues into the next. This is not individual tracks sitting on their own island, all alone," the rocker continued. Reed also said that West had the ability to unbalance listeners. He said, "Very often, he'll have this very monotonous section going and then, suddenly -'BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP!'- he disrupts the whole thing and we're on to something new that's absolutely incredible."
Reed also reviewed several tracks in the album. " 'Hold My Liquor' is just heartbreaking, and particularly coming from where it's coming from," he said of West's collaboration with Chief Keef. "At first, West says 'I can hold my liquor' and then he says 'I can't hold my liquor.' This is classic."
" 'I'm great, I'm terrible, I'm great, I'm terrible.' That's all over this record. And then that synthesized guitar solo on the last minute and a half of that song, he just lets it run, and it's devastating, absolutely majestic," he added. "If you like sound, listen to what [Kanye]'s giving you. Majestic and inspiring."
- Jamie Foxx's Wild Night Out: Boozing and Grinding With Mystery Women
- Listen to Jamie Lynn Spears' Comeback Single 'Sleepover'
- Chloe Moretz: 'I Wanted a Boob Job and Butt Reduction' at Age 16
- Bradley Cooper and Irina Shayk Talk About Building a Future and Having Kids Together
- Check Out These New 'Fast 8' Ice Cars From Iceland Set
- Kelly Clarkson Signs With Atlantic Records, Readies Soul Album for Next Year
- Jesse Is Back on 'The Flash' in Season 3. Will She Turn Into Speedster?
- Justin Bieber Sprains His Ankle After Basketball Game, Tells Fans Not to Worry