Jay-Z Gets Approval for Surprise Concert in NYC
Jay-Z is set to perform atop the marquee of the Ed Sullivan Theater. The New York Post reports that New York City Mayor Bloomberg has approved Jay-Z's application to perform at the same building where the "Late Show With David Letterman" is taped.
The so-called surprise concert is scheduled for July 8, four days after Jay-Z releases his new album, "Magna Carta... Holy Grail". No other details have been revealed, but Jay-Z will definitely shut down Broadway traffic between West 53rd and 54th during rush hour.
A few days ago, sources revealed that Jay-Z was seeking the approval from Mayor Bloomberg's office to turn rush-hour Times Square into a gigantic street party. "If he gets permission from the mayor's office, it's going to be off the hook," a law-enforcement agent said at that time. "They'll have to shut down Broadway around the Letterman building. They'll have to have a strong police presence. It's going to be chaos with so many fans."
In addition to preparing the party, Jay-Z promotes his "Magna Carta... Holy Grail" by sharing the lyrics of the tracks from the album. The latest lyrics to share is "Jay-Z Blue (Daddy Dearest)". Jay-Z also shared a short video that sees him discussing the Blue Ivy-inspired song with collaborator Rick Rubin.
"[She's] something that we both created; we still marvel her," Jay-Z told Rubin of his daughter with wife Beyonce Knowles. "My pop left when I was young, so he didn't teach me how to be a man, nor how to raise a child, or treat a woman. So, of course, my karma, the two things I need, I don't have. And I have a daughter. It's the paranoia of not being a great dad."
More Jay-Z News
- Bob Dylan Called 'Arrogant' for Ignoring Nobel Prize Win
- 'Doctor Strange' Star Tilda Swinton Wants Her Own Marvel Movie
- Jay-Z Makes History as Nominee for 2017 Songwriters Hall of Fame
- Police Called to Larsa and Scottie Pippen's House Before Divorce Announcement
- Did Madonna Just Clap Back at Lady GaGa With This Meme?
- Leonardo DiCaprio to Play the Man Who Invented Rock and Roll in Sam Phillips Biopic
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie to Sell Their Chateau Miraval in France Amid Divorce
- Director Tim Miller Leaves 'Deadpool 2' Due to Creative Differences