Director Defends Miley Cyrus' 'We Can't Stop' Music Video
Miley Cyrus caused a stir when releasing the music video for her latest single, "We Can't Stop", last week. Some viewers agreed that the clip was bizarre and too raunchy. However, Diane Martel, who directed the video, has her own opinion.
In an email sent to MTV news, the director explained that the video is perfect for Miley, who has been attempting to shed her Disney star image and move into adulthood. "We set out to make something we would love and we did! I don't see this video as shocking, it's creative," Diane said.
Diane went on saying that the former "Hannah Montana" star was heavily involved in the process to produce the video. She continued, "We spoke a lot and sent photos back and forth; we spoke about her love of her close friends. She is not a career-crazed kid. Her music is intensely important to her but so is her social life; [so] we spoke about the joy of tight friendships."
"To me, she is showing us, the audience, her playful, beautiful self, very freely. [It's] a music video version of what is must be like to bug out and act crazy with her in real life," she added.
Diane then praised Miley's willingness to open herself up during the filming. "She's really quite open in the video, and, yeah there is style and meme stuff going on, but her performance is very trusting and unguarded. She is very much alive in a way I find very beautiful. She is living in the moment and this is inspiring... Miley is my hero," she gushed.
Diane is not the only person who's happy with the video. During her recent stop on "Good Morning America", Miley told the show's hosts, "For me, I was excited when the song came out, but I really wanted the music video to come because it shows exactly where I was at that time in my life, when we started working on 'We Can't Stop'."
She continued defending the music video, saying, "The video's based off true events. Some funny things have gone down in my life, so it's just been great, letting people see that-not just the glammed up beauty shot girl because that's not who I am."
More Miley Cyrus News
- 'Celebrity Apprentice' Recap: Mixed-Up Teams and Nude Photo Shoot
- 'The Bachelor' Recap: Backstreet Boys' Performance, a 'Nickathlon' and a Zero Gravity Date
- See Margot Robbie's Drastic Transformation to Portray Tonya Harding
- Green Day Roasts Donald Trump in 'Troubled Times' Lyric Video
- New Couple Alert! Suki Waterhouse and 'Rogue One' Star Diego Luna Caught Getting Handsy in Mexico
- Kourtney Kardashian Is Still 'Serious' About Scott Disick Despite Reunion With Justin Bieber
- Mariah Carey and Elton John Rake in Millions of Dollars From Russian Billionaire Heiress' Wedding
- Armie Hammer and Elizabeth Chambers Welcome Baby No. 2