Maggie Gyllenhaal Is 'The Honourable Woman' on Sundance Miniseries
Maggie Gyllenhaal is coming to small screen with "The Honourable Woman". The Academy Award-nominated actress is set to star on the Sundance Channel miniseries, which is described as a fast-paced thriller set against an international political backdrop.
On the eight-part drama, the sister of actor Jake Gyllenhaal will play Nessa Stein, the daughter of a Zionist arms procurer who as a child witnessed his assassination. As an adult, she inherits her father's company and dramatically inverts its purpose from supplying arms to laying high-spec data cabling networks between Israel and the West Bank.
Now in her thirties, her sudden appointment to the House of Lords, apparently due to her tireless promotion of projects for reconciliation between the Israelis and Palestinians, creates an international political maelstrom.
"I couldn't put the scripts down. Nessa is such an exciting and intricate character. I can't wait to begin filming," Gyllenhaal says of her new project, which has BAFTA winner Hugo Blick attached to direct and write the script. Blick will also serve as the executive producer alongside Greg Brenman, with Abi Bach on board to produce.
Sundance Channel president Sarah Barnett gushes, " 'The Honourable Woman' is scintillating drama: It is both a tightly plotted international political thriller and a superbly wrought character piece about hope, compromise, guilt and families." It will be filmed on location in the U.K., Middle East and America starting July, and set to air in 2014.
Gyllenhaal has earned two Golden Globe nominations throughout her career, one of which was for her breakthrough role in 2002's "Secretary". Her other notable films include "Sherrybaby", "The Dark Knight", "Crazy Heart" and most recently "White House Down". The Sundance miniseries marks her first largest TV commitment to date.
- Selena Gomez Is Queen of Instagram, Becomes the First Person to Reach 100M Followers
- Leonardo DiCaprio Reportedly Planning a 'Secret Wedding' to Nina Agdal
- Listen to Juicy J's New Single 'Ballin' Feat. Kanye West
- 'Black Panther' Casts 'Person of Interest' Alum Winston Duke as Villainous Man-Ape
- Zayn and Gigi Hadid Get Lovey-Dovey in This Pic as His Mom Asks Him to Dump Her
- Mariah Carey Debuts New Song 'Infamous' for 'Empire' Series
- Keanu Reeves Walks Down Brooklyn Bridge With His New Dog in New 'John Wick 2' Pic
- Here's the Real Reason Rob Kardashian Tweeted Kylie Jenner's Number. Does She Deserve It?