'Modern Family' Considering Gay Wedding After DOMA Overturn
"Modern Family" may follow suit some celebrity couples who celebrate the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) overturn with engagement and wedding plans. After the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that Doma was "unconstitutional," wedding bells may ring for gay couple Cameron (Eric Stonestreet) and Mitchell (Jesse Tyler Ferguson) on the Emmy-winning comedy series.
"It's a real possibility," co-creator Christopher Lloyd says whether or not a gay wedding will be featured in the upcoming fifth season of the show. "It's certainly something we are contemplating on the show in ways we wouldn't have in prior seasons. We've had a number of conversations."
He adds, "As you can imagine in Cam and Mitchell's life, they would be feeling that a door has opened that was closed to them. Wouldn't it be pretty tempting to think about walking through it? We imagine a lot of gay couples today are deciding whether to get married now that it's open to them. From our standpoint, that's something to explore."
In May, the ACLU launched a campaign to marry the gay couple. However, Lloyd says the comedy "didn't want to make an overt political statement." He explains, "It's not that we are absolutely unwilling. It was more of a tonal thing. It didn't seem like our show to do that."
"If they want to campaign to influence how we deal with the characters, that starts to be intrusive. We resist that," he continues. "The ACLU had their heart in right place, but there was a silliness to the whole thing. They don't exist, you know! They really are fiction."
Now that gay marriage is legalized in California, the writers are happy for the beloved fictional gay couple. "It's a funny thing, sitting around and celebrating for your characters on a day like this," he gushes. "We were happy for Mitch and Cam today!"
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Series Finale Photos: Get First Look at Aria's Wedding Dress
- Is Khloe Kardashian Pregnant? Tristan Thompson Believes She Will Be the 'Best Mom'
- Insecure Kylie Jenner Thinks She's Ugly
- Beyonce Writes a Song About Her Newborn Twins, Plans to Release New Album Before Coachella 2018
- Gillian Anderson Goes Makeup-Free and Ditches Bra During Her Stay in Italy
- Kate Beckinsale Can't Keep Her Hands Off Toy Boy Matt Rife During Movie Date
- Kevin Feige Confirms Miles Morales Is Part of MCU
- Protective Boyfriend The Weeknd Tells Selena Gomez to Cover Up