'Annie' Finally Finds Miss Hannigan in Cameron Diaz
Cameron Diaz has landed a role in Sony Pictures' upcoming musical "Annie", Deadline reports. The "Knight & Day" actress, who recently showed up in the international teaser trailer for Ridley Scott's "The Counselor", is on board the project to take on the role of Miss Hannigan.
In the story, Miss Hannigan is introduced as a mean lady who runs the orphanage where Annie and her friends live. Sony initially envisioned that character to be played by Sandra Bullock. However, the co-star of Melissa McCarthy in "The Heat" decided to pass on it after failing to reach an agreement with the studio at the negotiation table.
Diaz, who is expected to reprise her foul-mouthed teacher role in "Bad Teacher 2", will be featured in the musical alongside Quvenzhane Wallis and Jamie Foxx.
"Beasts of the Southern Wild" star Wallis is cast as the titular character, while "The Amazing Spider-Man 2" villain Foxx is tapped to play NYC mayoral hopeful Benjamin Stacks, a variation of the Daddy Warbucks personage.
Set in a modern era, "Annie" is produced by Will Smith and Jay-Z, and directed by Will Gluck. The movie is set to open opposite Disney's musical "Into the Woods" on December 25, 2014.
- Kylie Jenner Awkwardly Gets Turned Down When Trying to Carry Tyga's Son King Cairo
- Mandy Moore and Milo Ventimiglia Share Adorable 'This Is Us' Family Photos. See Who's Missing
- Ryan Reynolds Wants 'Deadpool' / 'Wolverine' Crossover to Happen
- Kanye West Sports Wedding Ring While Riding BMX Amid Kim Kardashian Divorce Rumors
- Watch Hailee Steinfeld, Fifth Harmony and More Perform at the 2016 Billboard Women in Music
- Reese Witherspoon Teams Up With Nick Kroll for EDM Rendition of 'Shake It Off'
- 'Puff the Magic Dragon' Gets Live-Action/Animated Hybrid Movie
- Mila Kunis Shows Impressive Post-Baby Body After Giving Birth to Son Dimitri