Big Demonstrations Force 'World War Z' to Cancel Brazil Premiere
Paramount Pictures has announced the cancellation of Monday's "World War Z" Brazil premiere due to massive protest movement sweeping the country's big cities including Rio de Janeiro and Sao Paulo. Actor and producer Brad Pitt was initially scheduled to attend the event alongside director Marc Forster.
"In light of the current and ongoing events taking place in Brazil, we will not proceed with red carpet arrivals," Paramount Pictures Brazil said in a statement. "Everyone involved with 'World War Z' send their respect and goodwill toward the people of Brazil at this time of national unrest."
The social unrest in Brazil, which is set to host next year's World Cup soccer tournament, started with a small protest against a 7% rise in bus fares. It then has ballooned to encompass much more serious issues such as education, health care and corruption.
"Fundamentally, people are on the streets because they have very different demands, but they don't have a forum for expressing them and for being heard. And the bus fares were just one of these many many different things," said Alessandra Orofino, one of the protest organizers, to CNN.
Opening last Friday, "World War Z" landed in a second place at North American box office with a strong $66.4 million. In the pic, Pitt's character Gerry Lane is in a race against time to stop the Zombie pandemic.
Mireille Enos and David Morse co-star in the movie, which also features cameo appearance from Pitt's son Maddox.
- A Cheeky Man Outshines Doutzen Kroes During Bikini Photo Shoot by Baring His Bum
- Rita Ora Strips Down to Nude Bra on Instagram - See the Racy Lingerie Snap
- R. Kelly Sued for Allegedly Having a 5-Year Affair With a Man's Wife
- Tristan Thompson Reportedly Will Propose to Khloe Kardashian After NBA Championship
- 'Petty' Kylie Jenner's Not Happy Scott Disick Still Hangs Out With Her Ex Tyga
- 'The Walking Dead': The First Two New Characters in Season 8 Revealed
- 'Unbreakable'/'Split' Sequel 'Glass' Is Announced, Bruce Willis and James McAvoy Will Return
- Kim Kardashian's 'Jealous' of Kourtney's Hot Beach Body