Big Demonstrations Force 'World War Z' to Cancel Brazil Premiere
Paramount Pictures has announced the cancellation of Monday's "World War Z" Brazil premiere due to massive protest movement sweeping the country's big cities including Rio de Janeiro and Sao Paulo. Actor and producer Brad Pitt was initially scheduled to attend the event alongside director Marc Forster.
"In light of the current and ongoing events taking place in Brazil, we will not proceed with red carpet arrivals," Paramount Pictures Brazil said in a statement. "Everyone involved with 'World War Z' send their respect and goodwill toward the people of Brazil at this time of national unrest."
The social unrest in Brazil, which is set to host next year's World Cup soccer tournament, started with a small protest against a 7% rise in bus fares. It then has ballooned to encompass much more serious issues such as education, health care and corruption.
"Fundamentally, people are on the streets because they have very different demands, but they don't have a forum for expressing them and for being heard. And the bus fares were just one of these many many different things," said Alessandra Orofino, one of the protest organizers, to CNN.
Opening last Friday, "World War Z" landed in a second place at North American box office with a strong $66.4 million. In the pic, Pitt's character Gerry Lane is in a race against time to stop the Zombie pandemic.
Mireille Enos and David Morse co-star in the movie, which also features cameo appearance from Pitt's son Maddox.
More World War Z News
- Kanye West Robbed, Computers Stolen From His Studio
- 'Transformers: The Last Knight' Announces Big Reveal on May 31
- Dwayne Johnson Hints at Darker Hobbs in 'Fast and Furious 8' Image
- Paul Bettany Defends Johnny Depp Amid Amber Heard's Domestic Violence Accusations
- Khloe, Kourtney Kardashian, Tyga Celebrate Scott Disick's Birthday in Vegas
- Kate Beckinsale: Michael Bay Was Baffled Because 'My Boobs Weren't Bigger Than My Head'
- 'Maze Runner 3' Pushed Back to 2018 as Dylan O'Brien Is Still on the Mend After On-Set Accident
- PND Serenades Kylie Jenner After She Called Him Out for Deleting Her on Social Media