Angelina Jolie Urges United Nations to Fight War-Zone Rape
A different-looking Angelina Jolie appeared before the United Nations Security Council earlier today urging the member countries to fight war-zone rape. Instead of her usual designer gowns, the global celebrity wore a more event-appropriate business suit, looking stunning as ever and coming off as quite authoritative and confident as she talked about women's security.
Serving as a special envoy for the United Nations' refugee agency, Jolie spoke in the conference to make an appeal to the council to "take up war-zone rape as a serious priority," calling such incidents as "crimes against humanity." "You set the bar. If the council sets rape and sexual violence in conflict as a priority it will become one and progress will be made. If you do not, this horror will continue," she said.
The lovely goodwill ambassador, speaking on behalf of the "hundreds of thousands - if not millions - of women and children and men" that "have been raped in conflicts," called on the council to make war-zone rape one of their main concerns as it continues to destroy individual lives as well as the society in general. "Rape is a tool of war...it is inflicted intentionally to destroy the woman, the family and the community. It ruins lives and fuels conflict," Jolie said.
Soon after her testimony, the council agreed to a resolution calling for the complete and immediate stop to all acts of sexual violence by all parties to armed conflict, as well as improved monitoring of sexual violence in conflict-torn areas. The council also pushed the U.N. and its donors to come to the aid of those affected by the violence.
More Angelina Jolie News
- 'Once Upon a Time' 6.02 Preview Promises Revelation of the Saviors' Secret
- Did Faith Evans Just Expose Her Vagina in Front of the Crowd? See the Evidence!
- 'Magnificent Seven' Debuts Strong on Domestic Box Office, 'Bridget Jones's Baby' Tops Overseas
- Josh Brolin Ties the Knot With Longtime Girlfriend Kathryn Boyd. See the Photos
- Drake's 'Views' Returns to No. 1 on Billboard 200 for 13th Week
- Idina Menzel Debuts Engagement Ring From Fiance Aaron Lohr at iHeartRadio Music Festival
- Jennifer Aniston and Justin Theroux Hold Hands in NYC Following Split Rumors
- Backstreet Boys Joins Florida Georgia Line at iHeartRadio Music Festival. Plus Other Performances!