Angelina Jolie Urges United Nations to Fight War-Zone Rape
A different-looking Angelina Jolie appeared before the United Nations Security Council earlier today urging the member countries to fight war-zone rape. Instead of her usual designer gowns, the global celebrity wore a more event-appropriate business suit, looking stunning as ever and coming off as quite authoritative and confident as she talked about women's security.
Serving as a special envoy for the United Nations' refugee agency, Jolie spoke in the conference to make an appeal to the council to "take up war-zone rape as a serious priority," calling such incidents as "crimes against humanity." "You set the bar. If the council sets rape and sexual violence in conflict as a priority it will become one and progress will be made. If you do not, this horror will continue," she said.
The lovely goodwill ambassador, speaking on behalf of the "hundreds of thousands - if not millions - of women and children and men" that "have been raped in conflicts," called on the council to make war-zone rape one of their main concerns as it continues to destroy individual lives as well as the society in general. "Rape is a tool of war...it is inflicted intentionally to destroy the woman, the family and the community. It ruins lives and fuels conflict," Jolie said.
Soon after her testimony, the council agreed to a resolution calling for the complete and immediate stop to all acts of sexual violence by all parties to armed conflict, as well as improved monitoring of sexual violence in conflict-torn areas. The council also pushed the U.N. and its donors to come to the aid of those affected by the violence.
More Angelina Jolie News
- Keke Palmer Blames the World for 'Ugly' Kylie Jenner's Drastic Transformation
- Britney Spears Mispronounces Tinashe's Name During Onstage Performance
- Tegan and Sara Release 'Miami Vice'-Inspired 'Dying to Know' Video
- Seth Meyers Will End 2016 With Jennifer Lawrence, Arnold Schwarzenegger and More
- Liam Payne Blasts Louis Walsh for Dissing His Pregnant Girlfriend Cheryl
- Demi Moore Annoys Mila Kunis for 'Butting in' After Birth of Her Son With Ashton Kutcher
- Get Sneak Peeks of Daredevil and Jessica Jones' Encounter in New 'Defenders' Set Photos
- Find Out Liam Payne's Big Plan to Propose to Pregnant Girlfriend Cheryl