'Family Ties' Creator Gary David Goldberg Dies of Brain Cancer
Gary David Goldberg, the creator of 1980s sitcom hit "Family Ties", died on Saturday, June 22. He was 68. Goldberg's daughter Shana Silveri told the New York Times that her father passed away at his Montecito, California home because of brain cancer. Goldberg is survived by his wife Diana Meehan, two daughters Shana Silveri and Cailin Goldberg-Meehan, a brother Stanley and three grandchildren.
Michael J. Fox, who rose into stardom after starring on "Family Ties", mourned the passing of the Emmy-winning writer and producer. "With a full heart I say goodbye to my mentor, benefactor, partner, second father and beloved friend, Gary David Goldberg. He touched so many with his enormous talent and generous spirit. He changed my life profoundly. Love to [his wife] Diana and all of Gary's family," he said in a statement.
Goldberg was born on June 25, 1944, in Brooklyn, New York. He graduated from San Diego State University in 1975. Goldberg said that he did not own a TV until a teacher pointed out his writing talent and an agent was interested in his TV scripts. He secured a job as a writer for "The Bob Newhart Show" and later became a story editor and a producer of "The Tony Randall Show".
Throughout his career, Goldberg worked in other TV shows such as "Lou Grant", "Brooklyn Bridge" and "Spin City" in addition to "Family Ties". He also ventured in movie projects, including 1989's movie "Dad" which cast Ethan Hawke, Jack Lemmon and Ted Danson. His other movie "Bye Bye Love" was released in 1995 and featured Matthew Modine, Randy Quaid and Paul Reiser. He also worked in a 2005 romantic comedy movie "Must Love Dogs" with Diane Lane and John Cusack.
- Tyler Hoechlin Suits Up as Superman in His First Look on 'Supergirl'
- JoJo Goes Skinny Dipping in 'F**k Apologies' Video Feat. Wiz Khalifa
- Khloe Kardashian Blasts Critics for Claiming She's 'Too Skinny'
- Bring on the Baby Wipes! The Rock Takes on Mid-Flight Diaper Duty With Daughter Jasmine
- Kim Kardashian Admits That Her Curvy Figure Makes Her Feel Insecure
- 'The Walking Dead' Was Supposed to End in Alexandria, but It Has Changed
- Disney's New 'Nutcracker' Movie Casts Mackenzie Foy as Clara
- Video: Kanye West Disses Taylor Swift While Crashing Drake's Concert