Kelly Rutherford Goes Bankrupt Due to Ongoing Custody Battle
"Gossip Girl" star Kelly Rutherford has gone broke. This was declared by the actress herself when she filed for bankruptcy last month, claiming she had accumulated debts of almost $2 million dollars, most of which were due to $1.5 million in legal expenses she had incurred over the course of the ongoing child custody battle she is waging against her former husband Daniel Giersch.
The '90s primetime soap "Melrose Place" actress says her liabilities include $350,000 in unpaid taxes and $25,251 in American Express credit card charges. It also doesn't help that her income has gone down from hundreds of thousands from her acting job in television to a reported current monthly income of $1,279.33, which has already forced her to borrow money from relatives.
Rutherford and Giersch, a German entrepreneur, have engaged in a costly custody battle over their two young kids ever since their divorce back in 2010. In September last year, a judge ruled that the children would live in France with their father, who's banned from returning to the U.S. due to a revoked visa, leaving Rutherford with no choice but to travel back and forth if she wanted to see her son and daughter.
Rutherford is fighting for her children to be returned to the U.S., the country of their birth. She has also formally asked the court to make Giersch shoulder the legal expenses she had acquired in the process.
- Conspiracy Theorists Claim Elvis Presley Is Alive and Attended His 82nd Birthday
- Kim Kardashian 'Had a Secret Fling' With 'Celebrity Big Brother' Star Calum Best
- 'The Flash' Also Brings Back Rick Cosnett's Eddie Thawne, but How?
- Kylie Jenner Teases Her Secret Project in Seductive Instagram Photos
- 'Game of Thrones' Season 8 Could Have More Than Six Episodes
- Alec Baldwin, Mark Ruffalo and Michael Moore Stage a Star-Studded Anti-Trump Protest in NYC
- 'Good Behavior' Gets Season 2 Renewal
- Hailee Steinfeld Confirms Her Return for 'Pitch Perfect 3'