Jim Carrey Slams His Film 'Kick-Ass 2', Creator Mark Millar Responds
Jim Carrey apparently will not be on hand for any promotional effort of his upcoming flick "Kick-Ass 2", due out on August 16. The 51-year-old actor and comedian, who tackles a role as Colonel Stars and Stripes in it, has decided to no longer continue his support for the Jeff Wadlow-directed movie.
"I did Kickass a month b4 Sandy Hook and now in all good conscience I cannot support that level of violence," Carrey wrote on Twitter. In another post, the outspoken gun-control advocate issued apology "to others involve with the film." "I am not ashamed of it but recent events have caused a change in my heart," he reasoned.
Mark Millar, the creator of "Kick-Ass" comics and executive producer of its feature adaptations, made a response to Carrey on his blog, "I'm baffled by this sudden announcement as nothing seen in this picture wasn't in the screenplay eighteen months ago. Yes, the body-count is very high, but a movie called 'Kick-Ass 2' really has to do what it says on the tin."
"A sequel to the picture that gave us HIT-GIRL was always going to have some blood on the floor and this should have been no shock to a guy who enjoyed the first movie so much ... Like Jim, I'm horrified by real-life violence (even though I'm Scottish), but 'Kick-Ass 2' isn't a documentary. No actors were harmed in the making of this production! This is fiction."
Even so, Millar still respected Carrey's decision to back away. "This is his decision, but I've never quite bought the notion that violence in fiction leads to violence in real-life any more than Harry Potter casting a spell creates more Boy Wizards in real-life," he wrote.
"Jim, I love ya and I hope you reconsider for all the above points. You're amazing in this insanely fun picture."
- Derek Hough and Tony Dovolani Not Returning for 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 24
- Colton Haynes to Make Live Singing Debut in Tribute Performance for George Michael
- 'Jurassic World 2' First Set Photo Arrives as Filming Begins
- Behati Prinsloo Wows on First Post-Baby Runway Show at Milan Fashion Week
- A Green Lantern Is Reportedly Confirmed in 'Justice League'
- New Photos Seem to Confirm Diane Kruger and Norman Reedus' Romance Rumors
- 'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.': Is Nick Blood Returning in Season 4?
- Happy 'Twin Peaks' Day! Showtime Unveils Posters for Revival