'Monsters University' Knocks Down 'World War Z' at Box Office
As predicted by most movie forecasters, "Monsters University" wins box-office battle against "World War Z". The animated feature about the college life of Mike Wazowski and Suley Sullivan takes in an easy $82.4 million in its first run. Brad Pitt's zombie movie follows right behind it with $66.4 million.
Such great start of "Monsters University" marks Pixar's second-highest opening ever behind 2010's "Toy Story 3" ($110 million) and the fifth biggest June debut of all time. "So much of this business is predicated on momentum," says Disney distribution topper Dave Hollis as quoted by Variety. "Summer is here, and man is it good to see big 'ole weekends like this."
Paramount's "World War Z", which sees Pitt playing a United Nation employee in a race against time to stop the Zombie pandemic, debuts to a strong result which leaves Warner Bros' "Man of Steel" no choice but to be in the third position. The Superman movie loses its throne in the second week after only managing to earn another $41.3 million for the studio.
Last week's runner-up "This Is the End" falls to No. 4 with $13.3 million. Lionsgate's "Now You See Me" rounds up the top five, trailing behind the Seth Rogen comedy with $7.9 million.
Top Ten Movies at Box Office for June 21 - 23:
- "Monsters University" - $82.4 million
- "World War Z" - $66.4 million
- "Man of Steel" - $41.3 million
- "This Is the End" - $13.3 million
- "Now You See Me" - $7.9 million
- "Fast and Furious 6" - $4.9 million
- "The Purge" - $3.6 million
- "The Internship" - $3.4 million
- "Star Trek Into Darkness" - $3.2 million
- "Iron Man 3" - $2.2 million
- Drake Reportedly Has 'Weed Overdose'
- Kanye West 'Would Love to Have More Kids' With Kim Kardashian
- Justin Bieber Facing Arrest in Brazil Over Graffiti Case
- Peter Parker Wants to Be Like Iron Man in New 'Spider-Man Homecoming' Trailer
- Kris Jenner and Corey Gamble Break Up
- Cuba Gooding Jr. Generates Online Outrage After Lifting Up Sarah Paulson's Skirt at PaleyFest
- New Footage of 'Blade Runner 2049' Is Screened at CinemaCon
- Nina Agdal Flaunts Her Enviable Figure in Skimpy Bikinis for New Swimwear Campaign