Kanye West's Lyrical Reference to Parkinson's Disease Sparks Criticisms
Controversy continues to hound Kanye West's album "Yeezus", down from its pre-debut days of "blasphemous" album title and cover artworks and building projections being shut down by police, up to it's post-release, expectedly over its tracks and their lyrics. One of those tracks is "On Sight" which has gotten Parkinson's disease groups from both inside and outside the United States reacting to West's lyrics.
"Soon as I pull up and park the Benz, we get this bitch shaking like Parkinson's," is the line that has the American Parkinson Disease Association speaking out, "We find these lyrics distasteful and the product of obvious ignorance." The British non-profit group Parkinson's U.K. has also slammed West, saying he has "shown an inexcusable level of stupidity and cruelty towards people living with an incurable condition."
Even New Zealand has joined in the chorus of disapproval, with Parkinson's New Zealand expressing alarm over West's lyrics. "While raising awareness of Parkinson's and its symptoms is usually a positive thing, we are concerned by the lack of empathy shown in these lyrics," the organization stated.
Involuntary shaking, caused by the loss of dopamine in the brain, is one of the main symptoms of Parkinson's disease, a neurological condition affecting 1.5 million Americans, about 127,000 people in the U.K and another 100,000 more in New Zealand, making it the most common neurodegenerative disorder in the world. Among the global celebrities suffering from the disease include actor Michael J. Fox and legendary boxer Muhammad Ali.
More Kanye West News
- Avril Lavigne's New Album Is on the Way
- Bella Thorne Comes Out as Bisexual After Photo of Her Kissing Another Woman Emerged
- Amber Rose Rumored to Join 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 23
- Check Out First Look at Anthony Hopkins' Odin on Set of 'Thor: Ragnarok'
- Amazon Adapting Martin Scorsese's 'The Departed' Into TV series
- Emma Stone Sings Sad Heartbreak Song in New 'La La Land' Teaser Trailer
- Sarah Paulson Joins Ryan Murphy's 'Feud' as Late Actress Geraldine Page
- Shannen Doherty Settles Health Insurance Lawsuit With Ex-Manager Amid Cancer Battle