FX Picks Up New Sitcom Starring Kelsey Grammer and Martin Lawrence
Kelsey Grammer and Martin Lawrence are teaming up for a new comedy on FX. The cable channel has picked up the untitled sitcom that will pair the two veteran comedians to play "Chicago lawyers from vastly different backgrounds who unexpectedly meet in court on the worst day of their lives."
Brought together by fate and greed, the mismatched lawyers develop a partnership and friendship, forcing one another to find the balance between the ethical and unscrupulous in their professional and personal lives.
"Martin is arguably one of the funniest men alive and after some success in drama I thought it might be time to try my hand at comedy," Grammer says. "I am thrilled to have this extraordinary team show me the ropes. All kidding aside, I don't think a better bunch of talent exists; I am honored and blessed."
Lawrence adds, "I am excited to be returning to TV and to be working with Kelsey. We have a great time together so I am looking forward to making a good show with a lot of laughs."
The new sitcom is greenlit in a "10/90 deal" like what the channel gave to "Anger Management". This means the show has been given 10-episode order and if it meets a certain ratings thresholds, the network will automatically order 90 more episodes.
FX COO and president of program strategy Chuck Saftler says of the show that will be produced by Lionsgate Television, "With the merging of two comedic geniuses, as well as two legendary showrunners, we couldn't have a stronger team on board for this show and can't wait to get to work."
Grammer and Lawrence will also serve as executive producers with Brian Sher, Stella Bulochnikov, Michael Green and Sam Maydew.
Grammer's last TV gig was "Boss", which was canceled by Starz after two seasons. Lawrence, meanwhile, headlined FOX's 1990s comedy "Martin" before turning to movies. He was last seen in "Big Mommas: Like Father, Like Son".
- 'Outlander' Casts David Berry in Pivotal Role of Lord John Grey
- 'Zombieland 2' Still Happening With Original's Scribes on Board
- Kim Kardashian Reportedly Furious Over Blac Chyna's Naked Photos for Paper Magazine
- Stephen Colbert Takes on Anthony Weiner's Sexting Scandal, Spoofs Beyonce's VMA Performance
- The Homeless Guy Accepting Miley Cyrus' Moonman at 2014 VMAs Is Selling the Trophy
- Beyonce's Daughter Blue Ivy Wears a $11,000 Dress to the VMAs Because of Course She Does
- 'Transformers: The Last Knight' Reportedly Eyes Liam Garrigan to Portray King Arthur
- No, It's Not Britney! Kourtney Kardashian Plays With Huge Snake in This Cringe-Inducing Picture