Katy Perry Says Russell Brand Ended Their Marriage via Text
Katy Perry opens up about her divorce from Russell Brand, more than a year after their split. In an interview for her cover story in Vogue's latest issue, she says she heard the bombshell news from the British comedian via a text message on New Year's Eve.
"He's a very smart man, a magical man," she first sings praise for her former husband, "And I was in love with him when I married him." She then dishes on, "Let's just say I haven't heard from him since he texted me saying he was divorcing me December 31, 2011."
The 28-year-old Californian singer, who was on a world tour when her marriage crumpled, accepts that her hectic schedule on the road contributed to their split but she also suggests that Russell was partly to blame as he couldn't cope being married to a strong woman like her.
"I have to claim my own responsibility in things. I do admit that I was on the road a lot. Although I invited him time and time again, and I tried to come home as much as I possibly could," she says.
"At first when I met him he wanted an equal, and I think a lot of times strong men do want an equal, but then they get that equal and they're like, 'I can't handle it.' He didn't like the atmosphere of me being the boss on tour. So that was really hurtful, and it was very controlling, which was upsetting."
There might be more to the story though, as the "Fireworks" hitmaker hints, "I felt a lot of responsibility for it ending, but then I found out the real truth, which I can't necessarily disclose because I keep it locked in my safe for a rainy day." She adds, "I let go and I was like, 'This isn't because of me; this is beyond me.' "
When asked about Russell's sense of humor, Katy says her funnyman ex was "hysterical" until she caught him making fun of her. "He started making jokes about me and he didn't know I was in the audience, because I had come to surprise him at one of his shows," she reveals.
When the topic switches to her on/off boyfriend John Mayer, Katy confirms their relationship is "over." She says, "I was madly in love with him. I still am madly in love with him. All I can say about that relationship is that he's got a beautiful mind."
"Beautiful mind, tortured soul. I do have to figure out why I am attracted to these broken birds," she wonders, but still holds out hope of finding the one, "I believe that I will be loved again, in the right way. I know I'm worth it."
More Katy Perry News
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Boss on the Ending: No One Can Get Happy Ending Without Some Struggle
- Salazar's Grudge Against Jack Sparrow Is Explained in 'Pirates of the Caribbean 5' New TV Spot
- Jennifer Lopez and Alex Rodriguez May Need to Postpone Their Wedding Plan. Find Out Why
- 'American Horror Story: Roanoke' Cast Dishes on Lady GaGa's Possible Return and More
- Artist of the Week: Jackie Evancho
- Traumatized Kim Kardashian Seeks Therapy After Paris Robbery
- Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner Exchange Sweet Gaze While Leaving Church Amid Reconciliation Rumors
- 'Venom Carnage' Is Listed as Horror Sci-Fi, Production Date Is Revealed