Katy Perry Says Russell Brand Ended Their Marriage via Text
Katy Perry opens up about her divorce from Russell Brand, more than a year after their split. In an interview for her cover story in Vogue's latest issue, she says she heard the bombshell news from the British comedian via a text message on New Year's Eve.
"He's a very smart man, a magical man," she first sings praise for her former husband, "And I was in love with him when I married him." She then dishes on, "Let's just say I haven't heard from him since he texted me saying he was divorcing me December 31, 2011."
The 28-year-old Californian singer, who was on a world tour when her marriage crumpled, accepts that her hectic schedule on the road contributed to their split but she also suggests that Russell was partly to blame as he couldn't cope being married to a strong woman like her.
"I have to claim my own responsibility in things. I do admit that I was on the road a lot. Although I invited him time and time again, and I tried to come home as much as I possibly could," she says.
"At first when I met him he wanted an equal, and I think a lot of times strong men do want an equal, but then they get that equal and they're like, 'I can't handle it.' He didn't like the atmosphere of me being the boss on tour. So that was really hurtful, and it was very controlling, which was upsetting."
There might be more to the story though, as the "Fireworks" hitmaker hints, "I felt a lot of responsibility for it ending, but then I found out the real truth, which I can't necessarily disclose because I keep it locked in my safe for a rainy day." She adds, "I let go and I was like, 'This isn't because of me; this is beyond me.' "
When asked about Russell's sense of humor, Katy says her funnyman ex was "hysterical" until she caught him making fun of her. "He started making jokes about me and he didn't know I was in the audience, because I had come to surprise him at one of his shows," she reveals.
When the topic switches to her on/off boyfriend John Mayer, Katy confirms their relationship is "over." She says, "I was madly in love with him. I still am madly in love with him. All I can say about that relationship is that he's got a beautiful mind."
"Beautiful mind, tortured soul. I do have to figure out why I am attracted to these broken birds," she wonders, but still holds out hope of finding the one, "I believe that I will be loved again, in the right way. I know I'm worth it."
More Katy Perry News
- Pro Dancers of 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 23 Revealed
- Meek Mill Infuriated Drake After He Tried to Block Canadian Rapper From Partying in Philly
- Vin Diesel Thinks The Rock 'Shined' Amid 'Fast and Furious 8' On-Set Beef
- Is He Sorry? Justin Bieber Reunites With Sofia Richie Ahead of Her 18th Birthday
- Stephen Colbert Mocks Ryan Lochte's Robbery Claims, Spoofs His Interview With Matt Lauer
- Watch Helen Mirren Perfectly Handle a Sexist Interviewer 40 Years Ago
- Early Concept Art of 'Captain America: Civil War' Sees Ant-Man Fighting the Cap
- James Harden's Signature Shoes Are So Bad That People Make Fun of Them. Read the Funny Ones