Jay-Z's Album Deal With Samsung Won't Be Counted as Official Billboard Sales
Roc Nation mogul Jay-Z may have secured a one million downloads for his upcoming album "Magna Carta... Holy Grail" through a deal with corporate giant Samsung but unfortunately this will not be counted as official album sales. The disappointing news was broken by industry expert David Bakula, an analyst for Nielsen Entertainment, whose Nielsen SoundScan releases Billboard's weekly charts.
"The bottom line is they're getting paid on a million albums. From what Billboard considers chart-eligible, we don't count free-to-consumers (albums)," said Bakula, which will undoubtedly frustrate the rap superstar who had thought differently. On Monday, June 17, Jay-Z assumed his new album had easily gone platinum even before it got officially released, tweeting, "If 1 Million records gets SOLD and billboard (magazine) doesn't report it, did it happen? Ha...Platinum!!!"
Despite this downside, Jay-Z's "Magna Carta... Holy Grail" is expected to top the Billboard 200 album chart when it finally debuts. It serves as his first solo album since his 2009-released "The Blueprint 3" and his latest following his 2011 collaboration album with Kanye West, "Watch the Throne".
Jay-Z's deal with Samsung will give one million smartphone app users a free download of the forthcoming album three days before its official release on July 4. The 43-year-old rap artist announced the exclusive promo on Sunday during the NBA finals by way of a three-minute commercial where he is seen in a recording studio discussing the deal with Samsung executives.
More Jay-Z News
- Watch 'Carpool Karaoke' With Madonna and Find Out Juicy Detail of Her Night Out With Michael Jackson
- Major Lazer Mashes Up Biggest Hits of the Year for YouTube Rewind 2016 Video
- John Cena Promises to Destroy 'Saturday Night Live' in New Promo
- Katy Perry Joins Jennifer Aniston at 'Office Christmas Party' L.A. Premiere
- Kardashian Sisters Try to Block Blac Chyna From Trademarking Their Family Name. How She Reacts?
- Nick Cannon Hits Back at Dane Cook Who Shamed Him for Wearing Turban
- Johnny Depp Dubbed Hollywood's Most Overpaid Actor Again by Forbes
- 'The Bachelor' Season 21 Cast Photos: Meet 30 Girls Vying for Nick Viall's Heart