Jay-Z's Album Deal With Samsung Won't Be Counted as Official Billboard Sales
Roc Nation mogul Jay-Z may have secured a one million downloads for his upcoming album "Magna Carta... Holy Grail" through a deal with corporate giant Samsung but unfortunately this will not be counted as official album sales. The disappointing news was broken by industry expert David Bakula, an analyst for Nielsen Entertainment, whose Nielsen SoundScan releases Billboard's weekly charts.
"The bottom line is they're getting paid on a million albums. From what Billboard considers chart-eligible, we don't count free-to-consumers (albums)," said Bakula, which will undoubtedly frustrate the rap superstar who had thought differently. On Monday, June 17, Jay-Z assumed his new album had easily gone platinum even before it got officially released, tweeting, "If 1 Million records gets SOLD and billboard (magazine) doesn't report it, did it happen? Ha...Platinum!!!"
Despite this downside, Jay-Z's "Magna Carta... Holy Grail" is expected to top the Billboard 200 album chart when it finally debuts. It serves as his first solo album since his 2009-released "The Blueprint 3" and his latest following his 2011 collaboration album with Kanye West, "Watch the Throne".
Jay-Z's deal with Samsung will give one million smartphone app users a free download of the forthcoming album three days before its official release on July 4. The 43-year-old rap artist announced the exclusive promo on Sunday during the NBA finals by way of a three-minute commercial where he is seen in a recording studio discussing the deal with Samsung executives.
More Jay-Z News
- P. Diddy Throws Star-Studded Birthday Party for Girlfriend Cassie
- Kim Kardashian Says Kendall Jenner Is Banned by Uber, the Company Responds
- J Balvin Survives Plane Crash in Bahamas
- Luke Cage Reveals the Downside of Being Bulletproof in First Clip
- Justin Bieber and Sofia Richie Jet Off for Romantic Getaway Ahead of MTV VMAs
- Britney Spears Calls 'Carpool Karaoke' With James Corden 'Awkward'
- Taylor Swift Naked Wax Figure Displayed at Kanye West's 'Famous' Art Exhibit
- Tom Hiddleston's Instagram Gets Hacked