Daytime Emmy Awards 2013: 'Days of Our Lives' Is Best Drama Series, George Lucas Wins First Emmy
The most-coveted prize at the 40th annual Daytime Emmy Awards has been handed out to "Days of Our Lives". The NBC soap opera was dubbed Outstanding Drama Series, edging out "The Young and the Restless", "General Hospital", and "One Life to Live".
The Sunday, June 16 ceremony also became a special moment for George Lucas and Doug Davidson as they won their first ever Emmy. The "Star Wars" creator nabbed the award through his executive-produced show "Star Wars: The Clone Wars", which was picked as Outstanding Special Class Animated Program. "We've been out there quite a while," the filmmaker said in his acceptance speech. "We're proud to finally win an Emmy."
"The Young and the Restless" star Davidson, meanwhile, was named Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series. Winning the award for the first time after 7 nominations and playing Detective Paul Williams on the CBS daytime drama since 1978, he shared a passionate kiss with his real-life wife before he took the stage to accept the award.
"It suddenly occurs to me that the presenters are younger than my tux," the actor said. "I would like to thank the viewers. They have been more than fans, they've been like family to me. They've supported my character in some very difficult times."
Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series went to Heather Tom of "The Bold and the Beautiful", marking the second consecutive time she won in the category and her fifth Daytime Emmy overall. The show took home other awards in Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series, Outstanding Drama Series Writing Team and Outstanding Drama Series Directing Team categories.
Scott Clifton of "The Bold and the Beautiful" shared the Outstanding Supporting Actor honor with "The Young and the Restless" star Billy Miller. Meanwhile, the Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series prize belonged to Julie Marie Berman of "General Hospital".
"The Ellen DeGeneres Show", which had grabbed six gongs at the Daytime Creative Arts Emmys announced on Friday, won Outstanding Talk Show-Entertainment Award. Ricki Lake, whose show has been canceled, surprisingly defeated Anderson Cooper, Steve Harvey, Dr. Mehmet Oz and Rachael Ray as Outstanding Talk Show Host.
The late Bob Stewart was honored posthumously with the Lifetime Achievement Award. Another Lifetime Achievement honoree was "Let's Make a Deal" original host Wayne Brady.
The Sunday, June 16 ceremony also paid tribute to Jeanne Cooper in the "In Memoriam" segment, introduced by her son Corbin Bernsen who dropped an F-bomb and the S-word as describing what his mother would have been thinking to being featured in the tribute segment. "Oh s**t, I'm on the In Memoriam list!" he imagined what his mother would've said, adding, "At least I made the f*****g list!"
- Outstanding Drama Series: "Days of Our Lives"
- Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series: Doug Davidson, "The Young and the Restless"
- Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series: Heather Tom, "The Bold and the Beautiful"
- Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series: Scott Clifton, "The Bold and the Beautiful" and Billy Miller, "The Young and the Restless" (tie)
- Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series: Julie Marie Berman, "General Hospital"
- Outstanding Younger Actor in a Drama Series: Chandler Massey, "Days of Our Lives"
- Outstanding Younger Actress in a Drama Series: Kristen Alderson, "General Hospital"
- Outstanding Drama Series Directing Team: "The Bold and the Beautiful"
- Outstanding Drama Series Writing Team: "The Bold and the Beautiful"
- Outstanding Talk Show-Entertainment: "The Ellen DeGeneres Show"
- Outstanding Talk Show Host: Ricki Lake, "The Ricki Lake Show"
- Outstanding Talk Show-Informative: "The Dr. Oz Show"
- Outstanding Game Show: "The Price Is Right"
- Outstanding Game Show Host: Ben Bailey, "Cash Cab"
- Outstanding Culinary Program: "The Best Thing I Ever Made" and "Trisha's Southern Kitchen" (tie)
- Outstanding Culinary Host: Lidia Bastianich, "Lidia's Italy"
- Outstanding Special Class Animated Program: "Star Wars: The Clone Wars"
- Outstanding Morning Program: "CBS Sunday Morning"
- Outstanding Original Song: "Good Afternoon" for "Good Afternoon America"
- Lifetime Achievement: Monty Hall, "Let's Make a Deal" and Bob Stewart
More Days of Our Lives News
- Kanye West Robbed, Computers Stolen From His Studio
- 'Transformers: The Last Knight' Announces Big Reveal on May 31
- Dwayne Johnson Hints at Darker Hobbs in 'Fast and Furious 8' Image
- Paul Bettany Defends Johnny Depp Amid Amber Heard's Domestic Violence Accusations
- Khloe, Kourtney Kardashian, Tyga Celebrate Scott Disick's Birthday in Vegas
- Kate Beckinsale: Michael Bay Was Baffled Because 'My Boobs Weren't Bigger Than My Head'
- 'Maze Runner 3' Pushed Back to 2018 as Dylan O'Brien Is Still on the Mend After On-Set Accident
- PND Serenades Kylie Jenner After She Called Him Out for Deleting Her on Social Media