Video: Jack Johnson Dedicates Bonnaroo Set to Mumford and Sons
Jack Johnson gave Mumford & Sons a shout-out during his set at Bonnaroo Music Festival in Tennessee on Saturday, June 15. Johnson, who headlined the festival following the British band's withdrawal, told the crowd that he dedicated his performance to "Ted Dwane and all of Mumford & Sons."
The 38-year-old singer-songwriter then expressed his desire to perform together with the British band. The "You and Your Heart" singer added, "And we wish we could all be here playing music together. Maybe that will be next year." At the event, Johnson sang 26 songs including a cover of Mumford & Sons' "The Cave" and Steve Miller Band's "The Joker".
During his two-hour set, Johnson also performed a new song called "Bonnaroo". "I wrote this song this morning and I just wanted to share it with you guys," he told the crowd before singing the song that tells a true story about how he replaced Mumford & Sons at the festival.
Johnson filled in for Mumford & Sons, who canceled their appearance as bassist Dwane recovered from a brain surgery. Johnson, who headlined the first Bonnaroo festival 12 years ago, confirmed his appearance, saying, "I was on my way to Bonnaroo to sit in on a set with my friends ALO last night when we got the call asking if I could possibly help out and cover for Mumford and Sons. I called my band and asked if they were up for it. Long story short -they are headed this way."
Johnson wasn't the only musician who rocked the stage at the festival. When singing "I Believe I Can Fly", R&B singer R. Kelly had fake doves flying in the black sky for dramatic effect. Rapper Nas performed "Life is Good" and "Daughters" to celebrate his daughter's birthday. "Today's my daughter's birthday. She's 19 today," he told the crowd.
Bjork, Solange Knowles, Empire of the Sun, Dirty Projectors, and Four Tet were among other performers who took the stage at the Saturday night event.
Jack Johnson at Bonnaroo:
R. Kelly at Bonnaroo:
Nas at Bonnaroo:
Empire of the Sun at Bonnaroo
- Bob Dylan Called 'Arrogant' for Ignoring Nobel Prize Win
- 'Doctor Strange' Star Tilda Swinton Wants Her Own Marvel Movie
- Jay-Z Makes History as Nominee for 2017 Songwriters Hall of Fame
- Police Called to Larsa and Scottie Pippen's House Before Divorce Announcement
- Did Madonna Just Clap Back at Lady GaGa With This Meme?
- Leonardo DiCaprio to Play the Man Who Invented Rock and Roll in Sam Phillips Biopic
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie to Sell Their Chateau Miraval in France Amid Divorce
- Director Tim Miller Leaves 'Deadpool 2' Due to Creative Differences