Video: Jack Johnson Dedicates Bonnaroo Set to Mumford and Sons
Jack Johnson gave Mumford & Sons a shout-out during his set at Bonnaroo Music Festival in Tennessee on Saturday, June 15. Johnson, who headlined the festival following the British band's withdrawal, told the crowd that he dedicated his performance to "Ted Dwane and all of Mumford & Sons."
The 38-year-old singer-songwriter then expressed his desire to perform together with the British band. The "You and Your Heart" singer added, "And we wish we could all be here playing music together. Maybe that will be next year." At the event, Johnson sang 26 songs including a cover of Mumford & Sons' "The Cave" and Steve Miller Band's "The Joker".
During his two-hour set, Johnson also performed a new song called "Bonnaroo". "I wrote this song this morning and I just wanted to share it with you guys," he told the crowd before singing the song that tells a true story about how he replaced Mumford & Sons at the festival.
Johnson filled in for Mumford & Sons, who canceled their appearance as bassist Dwane recovered from a brain surgery. Johnson, who headlined the first Bonnaroo festival 12 years ago, confirmed his appearance, saying, "I was on my way to Bonnaroo to sit in on a set with my friends ALO last night when we got the call asking if I could possibly help out and cover for Mumford and Sons. I called my band and asked if they were up for it. Long story short -they are headed this way."
Johnson wasn't the only musician who rocked the stage at the festival. When singing "I Believe I Can Fly", R&B singer R. Kelly had fake doves flying in the black sky for dramatic effect. Rapper Nas performed "Life is Good" and "Daughters" to celebrate his daughter's birthday. "Today's my daughter's birthday. She's 19 today," he told the crowd.
Bjork, Solange Knowles, Empire of the Sun, Dirty Projectors, and Four Tet were among other performers who took the stage at the Saturday night event.
Jack Johnson at Bonnaroo:
R. Kelly at Bonnaroo:
Nas at Bonnaroo:
Empire of the Sun at Bonnaroo
- Drake Reportedly Has 'Weed Overdose'
- Kanye West 'Would Love to Have More Kids' With Kim Kardashian
- Justin Bieber Facing Arrest in Brazil Over Graffiti Case
- Peter Parker Wants to Be Like Iron Man in New 'Spider-Man Homecoming' Trailer
- Kris Jenner and Corey Gamble Break Up
- Cuba Gooding Jr. Generates Online Outrage After Lifting Up Sarah Paulson's Skirt at PaleyFest
- New Footage of 'Blade Runner 2049' Is Screened at CinemaCon
- Nina Agdal Flaunts Her Enviable Figure in Skimpy Bikinis for New Swimwear Campaign