50 Cent's 'Power' Gets Series Order on Starz
50 Cent a.k.a. Curtis James Jackson is bringing "Power" to Starz. The network has greenlit a new series, which is executive produced by the singer/actor and is created by Courtney Kemp Agboh, to be included in its 2014 original programming lineup.
Starz Chief Executive Office Chris Albrecht says of the pickup, "We are thrilled to add 'Power' to our growing original programming lineup for 2014. Curtis has a unique and specific vision for the series, lending it an authenticity and voice rarely seen. Courtney has created a rich world and characters not often explored in contemporary drama."
He goes on gushing about the new show, "There is a rawness and soul to the character of Ghost as he struggles to live between these two worlds that we believe will leave an indelible mark on the audience and stay with them after the credits roll."
The eight-episode drama, which is dubbed a passion project by 50 Cent, revolves around James "Ghost" St. Patrick, a wealthy New York City nightclub owner who caters to the city's elite. He wants to build an empire, turn the club into a Fortune 500 business.
The problem is Ghost is living a double life. When he's not at the club, he's the kingpin of the most lucrative drug network in New York for a very high-level clientele. His marriage, family and business all become unknowingly threatened as he is tempted to leave his criminal life behind and become the rags-to-riches businessman he wants to be most of all.
Agboh says the show explores "a world of beauty, luxury, danger and death, all against the struggle of one man to define his nature and his soul. While the power and peril of Ghost's world are specific, we hope to address the truly universal questions we all face when we look in the mirror: who am I? Where am I going? Who do I want to become?"
Agboh, whose credits include "The Good Wife", "The Bernie Mac Show" and "Eli Stone", will serve as showrunner for "Power", while 50 Cent will oversee music for the show. Production for the new series will begin in late 2013. No cast member is announced as of press time.
More Power News
- John Legend Expresses His Anger and Hope in 'In America'
- Ryan Gosling Explains His Giggle During Oscar Fiasco
- Report: Kevin Hart's Wife Eniko Pregnant With Their First Child
- 'Avengers: Infinity War' Starts Filming in Scotland, Set Photos and Video Arrive
- 'Orphan Black' Unveils First Photos and Details of Final Season
- Hailey Baldwin Fuels Cameron Dallas Dating Rumors as They're Spotted Grabbing Lunch Together
- Donald Trump and Wife Melania Reportedly Sleep in Separate Bedrooms and Never Spend a Night Together
- Iggy Azalea Is Twerking in Sneak Peek of 'Mo Bounce' Music Video