Snoop Dogg Debuts 'Turbo' Soundtrack 'Let the Bass Go'
Snoop Dogg switches back to his hip-hop roots in the new song "Let the Bass Go", his contribution to the soundtrack of the upcoming animated comedy "Turbo". The 41-year-old rap superstar even stars in the family-friendly flick as the voice of the "slick-talking, slow-walking" snail Smoove Move.
"I'm on my old-school rap style there: we took sounds from the '80s like an 808 bass to give it that 'Planet Rock' and 'Going Back to Cali' feel. It was about paying homage, while at the same time taking the movie to the next level," Snoop described the vintage-sounding track. "It's something upbeat that everyone in the house can enjoy," he said reassuringly.
The track was commissioned by DreamWorks Animation CEO Jeffrey Katzenberg for the closing credits as "something to end the movie with a lot of electricity and energy," according to Snoop. Not only could DreamWorks think that Snoop churn out the hippest closing credits track, but they also thought he would be perfect for the voice of Smoove Move.
"They approached me about doing a voice in the movie, so I said, 'Why not?' " the rapper said. "I love animated movies, and I've always been loved by the kids, but I didn't know how to target that audience. This is the perfect way."
The sports-themed animated film about an ordinary garden snail who goes on to become the fastest snail in the world features the voices of Ryan Reynolds, Paul Giamatti, Michael Pena, Bill Hader, Maya Rudolph, and Samuel L. Jackson. It hits theatres on July 17.
Snoop Dogg's "Let the Bass Go":
More Snoop Dogg News
- Judi Dench Gets Her First Tattoo at Her 81st Birthday
- Keri Russell Reveals Her Baby's Gender and Name
- Debby Ryan Gets Probation After Pleading No Contest to DUI
- Justin Bieber Falls Again on Stage During His Concert
- Scott Eastwood Is in Talks to Star in 'Pacific Rim 2'
- Video: Chris Brown Throws a Fan's Phone Used to Film Him at a Club
- 'Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.' Season 4 Casting News Fuels the Ghost Rider Speculation
- 'Quantico' Beauty Priyanka Chopra Reveals She Has 'Never Dated.' Here's Why