Director Lawrence Blume on 'Tiger Eyes' Movie: 'It Sort of Mirrored My Own Story'
Director Lawrence Blume shares his thoughts on "Tiger Eyes", his latest film based on his mom Judy Blume's novel of the same title. The feature adaptation, which stars Willa Holland of "Gossip Girl" and Amy Jo Johnson of "Flashpoint", is apparently an emotional project for Lawrence as he admits that in some way, he feels connected to the story.
"It sort of mirrored my own story of being pulled away from my life, my friends and my father in New Jersey and moving to this strange town of Los Alamos, New Mexico," Lawrence tells Reuters. The New York-based filmmaker not only serves behind the lens for the film, but also co-writes the screenplay alongside his 75-year-old mother.
"Tiger Eyes" is Judy's first of her 28 books to be finally brought to life. A family project, the movie also gets her current husband of 26 years, George Cooper, involved in it, serving as the executive producer.
Of the biggest hurdle of the production, the helmer and producer of 2002's "Martin & Orloff" says, "The biggest challenge was taking the book's first person inner monologue narrative and figuring out how to turn that into an actionable behavior that actors can play."
Lawrence also says that working with his mom, who resides in Florida, has been "kind of magical." He says, "We don't live in the same city anymore, so it was really nice to be able to spend a lot of time with her."
Filming in Santa Fe in 2010, "Tiger Eyes" opens on Friday, June 7 in the U.S.
"Tiger Eyes" Clip:
- Gigi Hadid's Family Wants Her to Dump Zayn Malik Because of This
- Is Destiny's Child Reunion Happening? Here's What Kelly Rowland Says
- Kim Kardashian's Sex Tape Turned Into Virtual Reality Experience
- 'Game of Thrones' Set Photos: Jon Snow Reunites With an Old Friend and It's Doesn't Look Friendly
- Jennifer Lawrence Was 'Stressed Out' When Dating Chris Martin, Is Happier With Darren Aronofsky
- Blake Lively Celebrates Ryan Reynolds' 40th Birthday Amid Physical Abuse Allegations
- Justin Bieber Extends 'Purpose World Tour' After Storming Off Stage Mid-Performance
- Ice Cube and 'Hamilton' Helmer Team Up for 'Oliver Twist' Musical at Disney