Director Lawrence Blume on 'Tiger Eyes' Movie: 'It Sort of Mirrored My Own Story'
Director Lawrence Blume shares his thoughts on "Tiger Eyes", his latest film based on his mom Judy Blume's novel of the same title. The feature adaptation, which stars Willa Holland of "Gossip Girl" and Amy Jo Johnson of "Flashpoint", is apparently an emotional project for Lawrence as he admits that in some way, he feels connected to the story.
"It sort of mirrored my own story of being pulled away from my life, my friends and my father in New Jersey and moving to this strange town of Los Alamos, New Mexico," Lawrence tells Reuters. The New York-based filmmaker not only serves behind the lens for the film, but also co-writes the screenplay alongside his 75-year-old mother.
"Tiger Eyes" is Judy's first of her 28 books to be finally brought to life. A family project, the movie also gets her current husband of 26 years, George Cooper, involved in it, serving as the executive producer.
Of the biggest hurdle of the production, the helmer and producer of 2002's "Martin & Orloff" says, "The biggest challenge was taking the book's first person inner monologue narrative and figuring out how to turn that into an actionable behavior that actors can play."
Lawrence also says that working with his mom, who resides in Florida, has been "kind of magical." He says, "We don't live in the same city anymore, so it was really nice to be able to spend a lot of time with her."
Filming in Santa Fe in 2010, "Tiger Eyes" opens on Friday, June 7 in the U.S.
"Tiger Eyes" Clip:
- 'Suicide Squad' Director Addresses Joker Fan Theory
- Blac Chyna Gets Love From Kim While Attending a Kardashian Family Event Sans Rob
- Khloe Kardashian Slams Donald Trump as Elizabeth Banks Likens Him to 'Hunger Games' Character
- Not a Wise Spender, Kylie Jenner Is Reportedly Nearly Broke
- 'Suicide Squad' Star Ike Barinholtz Welcomes Second Baby With Wife
- T.J. Miller Parties Hard in First 'Office Christmas Party' Trailer
- Watch Stephen Colbert Crash and Get Kicked Off DNC Stage During 'Hunger Games' Spoof
- Kendall Jenner on Freeing Her Nipples: 'I Don't See What the Big Deal Is'