Woman Sues After Allegedly Contracting Herpes From Rihanna-Endorsed Lipstick
A Rihanna fan files a lawsuit against MAC Cosmetics, the company producing RiRi Woo lipstick. Starkeema Greenidge claims she got herpes after sampling the lipstick at a MAC popup store when attending the singer's concert at the Barclays Center in New York City on May 7.
The 28-year-old waitress said an employee applied the lipstick to her upper lip, and she was asked to "press her lips together and spread the lipstick around." Two days later, she developed a cold sore on her lip as a result of contracting a version of herpes simplex virus (HSV-1).
"(MAC) didn't use a fresh or new lipstick tube, but rather one that had been used for other patrons," she said, adding that the company should have trained their employees to use disposable tubes and "should have known . . . it was unsanitary and exposing patrons to possible spread of disease."
In the lawsuit filed at the Manhattan Supreme Court, the plaintiff is seeking unspecified damages claiming she suffered from "mental anguish and emotional distress" after contracting the incurable disease. "I wasn't able to work for two weeks. It cost me a lot of money," she complained.
In response, MAC issues a statement to the Daily Beast, "Consumer safety is a top priority at MAC Cosmetics, and we take these matters very seriously. We are closely reviewing these claims."
More Rihanna News
- Ed Sheeran Forgets Lyrics During Live Performance
- Watch Second Trailer for 'Justice League'
- Nicki Minaj Teases Music Video for David Guetta's 'Light My Body Up' With On-Set Photo
- Watch Little Mix's Dreamy Cover of Rihanna's 'Love on the Brain'
- 'Walking Dead' Alum Steven Yeun and Wife Joana Pak Share First Photo of Their Newborn Baby
- Mama June Feels 'Like Frankenstein' After Skin Removal Surgery. Is She Giving Up?
- Blake Shelton and Gwen Stefani 'Torn Apart' by Her 'Flirtation' With 'The Voice' Contestant
- Katy Perry Reportedly Still Loves John Mayer. Will They Rekindle Their Romance?