Video: Steve Carell Appears as Gru of 'Despicable Me' on 'Ellen'
Gru, in a live-action version, made his first television appearance on "The Ellen DeGeneres Show" Wednesday, May 29. Steve Carell, who voices the character in "Despicable Me" and its upcoming sequel, dressed up as the super-villain with a bald cap, pointed nose, striped scarf, and a black zip-up jacket with massive padded shoulders.
Ellen DeGeneres was curious about his accent and asked him where he was from, to which he responded, "I'm from Albuquerque, New Mexico." When she said that she never heard other people from Albuquerque speaking in that accent, Steve who maintained that accent during the segment said, "Don't push this topic."
Steve's Gru also said he only came to Los Angeles once before to get some Starbucks. "I came all the way to Los Angeles because they don't have good Starbucks in Albuquerque," he explained, claiming that he saw Ellen there.
Later on the daytime talk show, Gru had his dream to dance through the audience come true. The crowd cheered as he performed a dance to Bee Gees' "You Should Be Dancing" in the aisles.
Gru will return in movie theaters through "Despicable Me 2" which will open stateside on July 3. Kristen Wiig, Miranda Cosgrove, Russell Brand, Steve Coogan, Benjamin Bratt and Ken Jeong are among the voice cast members.
More The Ellen DeGeneres Show News
- Kate Beckinsale Can't Keep Her Hands Off Toy Boy Matt Rife During Movie Date
- Kevin Feige Confirms Miles Morales Is Part of MCU
- Protective Boyfriend The Weeknd Tells Selena Gomez to Cover Up
- Steve Harvey Announces Daughter's Engagement Amid Career Mess
- 'The Walking Dead': Negan Will Be Missing Several Episodes of Season 8
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Make a Pact to Stay Civil for the Kids
- 'So You Think You Can Dance' Season 14 Continues With New York Auditions
- Kelly Osbourne Pees Herself After Denied Entry to Starbucks