Video: Steve Carell Appears as Gru of 'Despicable Me' on 'Ellen'
Gru, in a live-action version, made his first television appearance on "The Ellen DeGeneres Show" Wednesday, May 29. Steve Carell, who voices the character in "Despicable Me" and its upcoming sequel, dressed up as the super-villain with a bald cap, pointed nose, striped scarf, and a black zip-up jacket with massive padded shoulders.
Ellen DeGeneres was curious about his accent and asked him where he was from, to which he responded, "I'm from Albuquerque, New Mexico." When she said that she never heard other people from Albuquerque speaking in that accent, Steve who maintained that accent during the segment said, "Don't push this topic."
Steve's Gru also said he only came to Los Angeles once before to get some Starbucks. "I came all the way to Los Angeles because they don't have good Starbucks in Albuquerque," he explained, claiming that he saw Ellen there.
Later on the daytime talk show, Gru had his dream to dance through the audience come true. The crowd cheered as he performed a dance to Bee Gees' "You Should Be Dancing" in the aisles.
Gru will return in movie theaters through "Despicable Me 2" which will open stateside on July 3. Kristen Wiig, Miranda Cosgrove, Russell Brand, Steve Coogan, Benjamin Bratt and Ken Jeong are among the voice cast members.
More The Ellen DeGeneres Show News
- Steven Tyler Confirms Aerosmith's 2017 Farewell Tour
- 'Rogue One' Releases More New Photos. Also Get Detail of Mon Mothma's Bigger Role
- Taylor Swift Flies to U.K. to Meet Tom Hiddleston's Mom. See Picture of Their Happy Outing
- 'Game of Thrones' Season Finale Won't Slow Down the Pace, People Will Die
- Audrina Patridge and Fiance Welcome Baby Girl Kirra Max
- Getting Married? Tyga Calls Kylie Jenner His 'Wifey'
- Christina Aguilera Performs 'Change' on 'Jimmy Kimmel Live!' to Support Orlando
- Justin Bieber's Music Video Vixen Xenia Deli, 26, Marries 62-Year-Old Man in Lavish Wedding