Video: Steve Carell Appears as Gru of 'Despicable Me' on 'Ellen'
Gru, in a live-action version, made his first television appearance on "The Ellen DeGeneres Show" Wednesday, May 29. Steve Carell, who voices the character in "Despicable Me" and its upcoming sequel, dressed up as the super-villain with a bald cap, pointed nose, striped scarf, and a black zip-up jacket with massive padded shoulders.
Ellen DeGeneres was curious about his accent and asked him where he was from, to which he responded, "I'm from Albuquerque, New Mexico." When she said that she never heard other people from Albuquerque speaking in that accent, Steve who maintained that accent during the segment said, "Don't push this topic."
Steve's Gru also said he only came to Los Angeles once before to get some Starbucks. "I came all the way to Los Angeles because they don't have good Starbucks in Albuquerque," he explained, claiming that he saw Ellen there.
Later on the daytime talk show, Gru had his dream to dance through the audience come true. The crowd cheered as he performed a dance to Bee Gees' "You Should Be Dancing" in the aisles.
Gru will return in movie theaters through "Despicable Me 2" which will open stateside on July 3. Kristen Wiig, Miranda Cosgrove, Russell Brand, Steve Coogan, Benjamin Bratt and Ken Jeong are among the voice cast members.
- Tyler Hoechlin Suits Up as Superman in His First Look on 'Supergirl'
- JoJo Goes Skinny Dipping in 'F**k Apologies' Video Feat. Wiz Khalifa
- Khloe Kardashian Blasts Critics for Claiming She's 'Too Skinny'
- Bring on the Baby Wipes! The Rock Takes on Mid-Flight Diaper Duty With Daughter Jasmine
- Kim Kardashian Admits That Her Curvy Figure Makes Her Feel Insecure
- 'The Walking Dead' Was Supposed to End in Alexandria, but It Has Changed
- Disney's New 'Nutcracker' Movie Casts Mackenzie Foy as Clara
- Video: Kanye West Disses Taylor Swift While Crashing Drake's Concert