'Behind the Candelabra' Ending Moves Cher to Tears
After getting rave reviews at the Cannes Film Festival, "Behind the Candelabra" got approval from some TV viewers who watched the original HBO movie Sunday, May 26. Among those praising the Liberace biopic were celebrities like Cher and Tara Buck.
Singer Cher revealed she was moved by the film's ending. "Watched Behind The Candelabra. At end I felt tears streaming down my cheeks. It was tiny bit slow, but it showed Unvarnished Human Frailty," she tweeted. She added, "Michael [Douglas] & Matt [Damon] were both AMAZING."
Comedian Patton Oswalt had the same experience as he shared on his own Twitter account, "Oh goddamit, this ending is genuinely making me cry. What the f**k is happening?" He wrote in another post, "Also, you can easily see what's behind a candelabra just by looking at it straight on."
"True Blood" actress Tara Buck described the biopic as "a moving, beautifully human and timely film." She also commented on Rob Lowe's physical transformation as Liberace's plastic surgeon, "And Rob Lowe, you really freaked me the hell out. #Liberace."
"Behind the Candelabra" is based on Scott Thorson's 1988 memoir which chronicles flamboyant pianist-vocalist Liberace's secretive five-year love affair with Thorson despite their age difference and seemingly different worlds. Michael Douglas portrays Liberace and Matt Damon takes the role of his lover.
Rob Lowe joins the cast as plastic surgeon Dr. Startz. The actor underwent major makeover to play the character, admitting that he had a "really painful" transformation. "Because being pulled that long and that hard for a 12-hour day - it gave me migraines," he shared. "We shot during the summer. It was unbelievably hot. The wig, being pulled, it was definitely not the most comfortable experience physically for sure."
- Mantis Reveals Star-Lord's Deep Dark Secret in 'Guardians of the Galaxy 2' New Trailer
- Watch: Rita Ora Drops Her Top in Raunchy Love Advent Video
- Britney Spears Gets Surprise Birthday Cake on Stage at 2016 Jingle Ball
- Granger Smith Broke His Rips and Punctured His Lung After Falling From Stage
- Madonna Wants to Remarry Sean Penn for $150,000 at Miami's Art Basel
- Chris Evans Feels 'Rage' Over 'Last Tango in Paris' Real Rape Scene
- Mariah Carey Not Too Keen on Comparison Between Her Alter Ego Bianca and Beyonce's Sasha Fierce
- Mark Wahlberg Criticizes Fellow Celebs Who Talk About Politics