Carrie Underwood Donates $1M for Oklahoma Tornado Relief Efforts
A Muskogee native, Carrie Underwood supports the good deed to rebuild her home state of Oklahoma following the devastating Tornado that destroyed many houses earlier this month. The winner of "American Idol" season 4 donates $1 million to the American Red Cross to help the relief efforts.
"I have watched the devastation in my home state of Oklahoma over the past several days with great sadness," the singer said in a statement. "With the help of my fans who attended my concerts over the past year, we can offer the Red Cross a little extra help in comforting those affected by the recent tornados."
Carrie is not the only stars making donations to help Oklahoma's residents. "Oklahoma City Thunder" star Kevin Durant wrote a generous $1 million check, and comedian David Spade pledged $200,000 to support the good cause.
Ricky Gervais was among the donators as well. While making a donation, he stirred controversy for mocking celebrities who sent moral support through prayers and condolences rather than money. He claimed monetary support was "the best way to help the disaster victims."
"Beyonce, Rihanna & Katy Perry send prayers to #Oklahoma #PrayForOklahoma," he quoted headline news with an additional comment, "I feel like an idiot now... I only sent money." He followed it up with, "Praying for something but not doing anything to make it happen has the same effect as writing to Santa & not letting mummy read the letter."
- 'Fate of the Furious' Will Start a New Trilogy, Vin Diesel Says
- Nicki Minaj Flaunts Her Body in Gucci Mane's 'Make Love' Music Video
- See David Beckham's Face Ruined for 'King Arthur' Movie!
- Lamar Odom Admits to Drugs Abuse and Multiple Affairs During Khloe Kardashian Marriage
- Pennywise the Clown Preys on Kids in 'It' Teaser Trailer
- Portia de Rossi Wants Ellen DeGeneres to Enter Rehab
- Kelly Ripa Involved in Drug Overdose Scandal
- Justin Timberlake Teases His Upcoming Collab With Timbaland and Pharrell