Second Jewelry Theft at Cannes Reported
Another jewelry theft has been reported at the 2013 Cannes Film Festival. A diamond necklace worth $2.6 million which belonged to the Swiss house De Grisogono went missing when celebrities including Sharon Stone, Paris Hilton and Ornella Mutti were among other guests who attended the company's party held at the Hotel Du Cap-Eden-Roc in Antibes on Thursday, May 23.
"We don't know exactly what happened. It was one of the most beautiful items we had," said the founder of De Grisogono, Fawaz Gruosi. "The police are trying to figure out what happened." Gruosi also stated that 80 bodyguards, local police, hotel security, and De Grisogono staff were on duty to ensure the safety of the item when the valuable jewelry disappeared.
Last week, police said that Choppard jewelry was stolen from a hotel suite in Cannes. The estimated $1.4 million jewelry was in the safe of the hotel room and the thief removed and took away the entire safe from the wall. A Choppard spokesman later revealed that the jewelry wasn't actually that expensive and it wasn't due to be worn by any actresses at Cannes Film Festival.
It's still unclear whether or not the two thefts were connected and police is currently investigating the cases.
Cannes Film Festival is not only about screening and promoting films. The largest annual film festival also brings together many entrepreneurs from around the world to showcase, sell and promote their luxury products including designer clothes, jewelries and perfume.
- 'Supernatural' Casts David Haydn-Jones as a Mysterious Character
- Lin-Manuel Miranda Releases Tribute Rap for 'The West Wing'
- Kim Kardashian, Kylie and Kendall Jenner Dolled Up for 'Ocean's Eight' Cameo Filming
- Amanda Seyfried Dishes on Upcoming Low-Key Wedding to Thomas Sadoski
- Harley Quinn Might Appear on 'Gotham' Earlier Than Expected
- Soulja Boy Takes a Shot at Chris Brown, 50 Cent, Mike Tyson on New Song 'Stop Playing with Me'
- Is Tina Fey Making 'Mean Girls 2' Without Lindsay Lohan?
- Lady GaGa Builds a Dance Floor in Her Backyard, Shares Crazy Idea for Super Bowl Performance