Nicolas Cage's Mustang in 'Gone in 60 Seconds' Sold for $1M at Auction
Modified 1967 Shelby Mustang GT500 which was featured in "Gone in 60 Seconds" movie was sold as much as $1 million last week in Dana Mecum's 26th Original Spring Classic 2013 sale. The silver car which was driven by Nicolas Cage in the movie was originally expected to be fetched at $300,000.
According to Alex Lloyd of Yahoo, at first producer Jerry Bruckheimer was not sure which car to order to accompany Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Aston Martins and a Jaguar XJ220 (called Bernadine) which were already decided for the movie. He was thinking of getting a Ford GT40 for Eleanor. However, it was too much for the budget. Therefore, a Mustang was decided for the movie.
Designer Steve Stanford teamed up with Cinema Vehicle Services to create the car, nicknamed Eleanor, for the movie. Stanford created the design and handed the sketch to CVS. The company reportedly mocked up the car's parts using clay and wood.
Eleven cars were created for the movie. Two of them were destroyed during production. Three other cars could be driven, while the others were just properties. The one which went on sale last week, however, was the "beauty" car which was driven by Cage and used extensively in the movie promotion and close up stills.
More Nicolas Cage News
- Comic-Con: 'Guardians of the Galaxy 2' Footage and 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' Villain Revealed
- Leonardo DiCaprio Reunites With Nina Agdal After 'Caught Flirting' With Another Woman at His Gala
- Watch Henry Cavill Walk Around in Mask and Hilariously Prank Will Smith at Comic-Con
- Comic-Con: New 'Fantastic Beasts' Trailer Shows Newt Scamander Recapturing the Creatures
- Gwen Stefani's Son Kingston Sings Blake Shelton's Song While Face-Swapping With Him
- Comic-Con: Check Out Trailers for 'Flash' Season 3, 'Arrow' Season 5 and 'Legends' Season 2
- Refusing to Enter Rehab, Lamar Odom Walks Out of Family's Intervention
- Kristen Bell Shares First Photos From Her Wedding While Tearing Up Talking About Hubby Dax Shepard