Pharrell Williams Debuts 'Despicable Me 2' Theme Song 'Happy'
Former N.E.R.D bandleader Pharrell Williams reprises his role as soundtrack producer on animated film "Despicable Me 2", a sequel to the hit 2010 flick. The 40-year-old songwriter, who co-produces with composer Heitor Pereira, contributed three original songs for the new soundtrack, one of which entitled "Happy" has arrived.
Filled with handclaps and singalongs, Williams' new single is perfectly titled as it simply uplifts spirits with its infectious retro-pop vibe. When The Neptunes hitmaker calls out, "Clap along if you know what happiness is to you," listeners won't be able to resist the urge to move along to the bouncy tune.
Apart from "Happy", Williams also recorded the song entitled "Scream" with Cee-Lo Green. Both tracks will appear in the soundtrack to be officially released two weeks prior to the movie's theatre run beginning on June 18. The 3D computer-animated comedy film "Despicable Me 2" features the voices of comedian Steve Carell as main character Gru and "Saturday Night Live" alum Kristen Wiig as agent Lucy Wild.
Prior to "Happy", Williams was featured along with rapper T.I. on Robin Thicke's latest hit and single "Blurred Lines", with the three artists recently performing it live on "The Voice". The songwriter to the stars is said to have been enlisted by Grammy Award-winning R'n'B artist Frank Ocean for his next album and follow-up to the critically-acclaimed "Channel Orange".
More Pharrell Williams News
- Watch Ariana Grande and Bruno Mars Perform at Star-Studded We Can Survive Concert
- Kim Kardashian Angry at Beyonce for Not Reaching Out to Her After Paris Robbery
- Kim Zolciak Criticized for Posting Inappropriate Photo of 2-Year-Old Daughter Kaia
- New 'Game of Thrones' Photos Confirm the Highly Anticipated Meet-Up
- Pregnant Janet Jackson Steps Out in Full Islamic Dress
- Charlie Puth Cancels the Rest of His Tour Dates Because He's 'Extremely Sick'
- Chris Hemsworth Shoots Down Split Reports With Cheeky Instagram Post
- Kim Kardashian Said She Could 'Handle' Social Media Days Before She Got Robbed