Goodie Mob Debuts 'Special Education' Featuring Janelle Monae
Just a day after Cee-Lo Green announced that his Atlanta-based hip-hop act Goodie Mob has a new album arriving on August 27, comes their new single "Special Education". Debuting on Tuesday, May 21, the single features R'n'B/soul singer Janelle Monae, with the 27-year-old songbird lending her vocals on the hook of the quartet's new track.
Revolving around the subject of individuality, the funky new collaboration finds Green, Khujo, T-Mo and Big Gipp dropping the verses over the industrial beat before Monae delivers the mellow chorus. Green's recognizable voice pops midway through the track, rapping some pretty witty lyrics, "Scientists stood around in silence as I was being born / was I quote unquote special, or was there something wrong? / My skin was black, my heart was gold, and my tongue was silver / and the fact that I could talk already, that was a thriller."
Goodie Mob's forthcoming album "Age Against the Machine" will serve as the follow-up to their 1999 album "Word Party", the last album to be released by the quartet just before Green went on to pursue a solo career. In 2004, the group minus Green released "One Monkey Don't Stop No Show" but fans were not as receptive without the presence of Green in the project.
Meanwhile, Monae, filling in for the ailing Queen of Soul Areha Franklin, rocked the May 20 special "Corporate Night" fundraiser of the League of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra Association.
Goodie Mob's "Special Education" featuring Janelle Monae:
- Derek Hough and Tony Dovolani Not Returning for 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 24
- Colton Haynes to Make Live Singing Debut in Tribute Performance for George Michael
- 'Jurassic World 2' First Set Photo Arrives as Filming Begins
- Behati Prinsloo Wows on First Post-Baby Runway Show at Milan Fashion Week
- A Green Lantern Is Reportedly Confirmed in 'Justice League'
- New Photos Seem to Confirm Diane Kruger and Norman Reedus' Romance Rumors
- 'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.': Is Nick Blood Returning in Season 4?
- Happy 'Twin Peaks' Day! Showtime Unveils Posters for Revival