Goodie Mob Debuts 'Special Education' Featuring Janelle Monae
Just a day after Cee-Lo Green announced that his Atlanta-based hip-hop act Goodie Mob has a new album arriving on August 27, comes their new single "Special Education". Debuting on Tuesday, May 21, the single features R'n'B/soul singer Janelle Monae, with the 27-year-old songbird lending her vocals on the hook of the quartet's new track.
Revolving around the subject of individuality, the funky new collaboration finds Green, Khujo, T-Mo and Big Gipp dropping the verses over the industrial beat before Monae delivers the mellow chorus. Green's recognizable voice pops midway through the track, rapping some pretty witty lyrics, "Scientists stood around in silence as I was being born / was I quote unquote special, or was there something wrong? / My skin was black, my heart was gold, and my tongue was silver / and the fact that I could talk already, that was a thriller."
Goodie Mob's forthcoming album "Age Against the Machine" will serve as the follow-up to their 1999 album "Word Party", the last album to be released by the quartet just before Green went on to pursue a solo career. In 2004, the group minus Green released "One Monkey Don't Stop No Show" but fans were not as receptive without the presence of Green in the project.
Meanwhile, Monae, filling in for the ailing Queen of Soul Areha Franklin, rocked the May 20 special "Corporate Night" fundraiser of the League of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra Association.
Goodie Mob's "Special Education" featuring Janelle Monae:
- 'Wet Hot American Summer: Ten Years Later' Gets Star-Studded First Trailer
- 'Jurassic World' Sequel Reveals Official Title and First Poster
- Harry Styles Mourning the Loss of His Stepfather
- 'KUWTK' Returns for Another Season as 'Life of Kylie' Ends Up Being a Flop
- 'Downtown Abbey' Movie Is in the Works
- Rob Kardashian Is Lawyering Up Against Blac Chyna
- Angelina Jolie and Charlize Theron Are Feuding Over 'Bride of Frankenstein' Role
- Nick Jonas to Embrace 'Positivity' in His New Album