Goodie Mob Debuts 'Special Education' Featuring Janelle Monae
Just a day after Cee-Lo Green announced that his Atlanta-based hip-hop act Goodie Mob has a new album arriving on August 27, comes their new single "Special Education". Debuting on Tuesday, May 21, the single features R'n'B/soul singer Janelle Monae, with the 27-year-old songbird lending her vocals on the hook of the quartet's new track.
Revolving around the subject of individuality, the funky new collaboration finds Green, Khujo, T-Mo and Big Gipp dropping the verses over the industrial beat before Monae delivers the mellow chorus. Green's recognizable voice pops midway through the track, rapping some pretty witty lyrics, "Scientists stood around in silence as I was being born / was I quote unquote special, or was there something wrong? / My skin was black, my heart was gold, and my tongue was silver / and the fact that I could talk already, that was a thriller."
Goodie Mob's forthcoming album "Age Against the Machine" will serve as the follow-up to their 1999 album "Word Party", the last album to be released by the quartet just before Green went on to pursue a solo career. In 2004, the group minus Green released "One Monkey Don't Stop No Show" but fans were not as receptive without the presence of Green in the project.
Meanwhile, Monae, filling in for the ailing Queen of Soul Areha Franklin, rocked the May 20 special "Corporate Night" fundraiser of the League of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra Association.
Goodie Mob's "Special Education" featuring Janelle Monae:
- Katy Perry Teases New KP4 Song 'Witness'
- J.Lo and Alex Rodriguez Are Head Over Heels for Each Other
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Attend Funeral for His Nephew
- Ed Sheeran Forgets Lyrics During Live Performance
- Watch Second Trailer for 'Justice League'
- Nicki Minaj Teases Music Video for David Guetta's 'Light My Body Up' With On-Set Photo
- Watch Little Mix's Dreamy Cover of Rihanna's 'Love on the Brain'
- 'Walking Dead' Alum Steven Yeun and Wife Joana Pak Share First Photo of Their Newborn Baby