Kid Rock Slams Lip-Syncers as Chris Brown Struggles With Live Performance at 2013 BMAs
Kid Rock did not perform on Sunday night's Billboard Music Awards but he certainly got the crowd's attention when he stepped onto the MGM Grand Garden Arena stage in Las Vegas to present an award. The Michigan-born musician opened his spiel by calling out some of the ceremony's performers, particularly those whom he suspected of lip-syncing.
"Let's give it up for people lipsyncing under pre-recorded music!" Rock blurted as he handed out the award for Top Rap Song to eventual winner Macklemore & Ryan Lewis. Viewers readily assumed he was directing his sarcastic remarks towards Selena Gomez, Icona Pop or Chris Brown, but a close look and listen at Brown's performance clearly showed he was not lip-syncing.
What gave him away were the several sharp and flat notes that Brown dropped while singing his latest hit single "Fine China" which Brown, in an all-black ensemble, performed with his talented crew of back-up dancers behind Chinese-themed backdrop visuals. "Lil hoarse for the performance but it happens. Good sh*t otherwise," Brown wrote on his Twitter account soon after his special number, which he closed out by posing as the late Michael Jackson behind the backdrop, his ode to the King of Pop.
Brown may have faltered in the high notes, but he surely did not disappoint with his superb dancing skills and the overall excellent choreography. Except for the ninja-fighting bit in his live number which was as awkward as the same sequence on his "Fine China" music video, his entire performance was well-executed.
Kid Rock presenting the Top Rap Song award at the 2013 Billboard Music Awards:
Chris Brown performing "Fine China" at the 2013 Billboard Music Awards:
- Check Out First Look at Anthony Hopkins' Odin on Set of 'Thor: Ragnarok'
- Amazon Adapting Martin Scorsese's 'The Departed' Into TV series
- Emma Stone Sings Sad Heartbreak Song in New 'La La Land' Teaser Trailer
- Sarah Paulson Joins Ryan Murphy's 'Feud' as Late Actress Geraldine Page
- Shannen Doherty Settles Health Insurance lawsuit With Ex-Manager Amid Cancer Battle
- Jessa Duggar and Ben Seewald Expecting Baby No. 2
- Back Off! Jay-Z Pushes Away Male Fan for Getting Too Close to Beyonce Knowles
- Jennifer Lawrence Tops Forbes' List of 2016 Highest-Paid Actresses