Billboard Music Awards 2013: Nicki Minaj and Carly Rae Jepsen Among Early Winners
Stars have flocked to the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas where the 2013 Billboard Music Awards is currently ongoing. After kicked off by a performance from Bruno Mars and a monologue by host Tracy Morgan, the show presented the first award, Top Rap Artist, with Shania Twain tackling the duty.
Nicki Minaj won the award, defeating other nominees including Flo Rida, Drake, PSY and Pitbull. "I definitely did not expect this one," the Harajuku Barbie said, thanking her fans. She's set to perform with Lil Wayne later on the show.
The second winner announced at the May 19 prize-giving event was for Top Digital Song, which went to Carly Rae Jepsen with her hit "Call Me Maybe". She edged out other contenders which were fun., Gotye, Macklemore & Ryan Lewis as well as Maroon 5.
Losing the Top Digital Song, Macklemore & Ryan Lewis who had just performed "Thrift Shop" on the show were presented with Top Rap Song for their top-charting track. Macklemore jokingly thanked Goodwill and Value Village before crediting their fans and management.
will.i.am later gave an introduction to Madonna, before presenting her with the award for Top Touring Artist. "I'll also take off my pretentious sun glasses," the pop star said before delivering her acceptance speech.
Taylor Swift has also had a victorious moment at the event, grabbing the Top Album Award which was announced by Emmy Rossum and Jason Derulo. "I'm really happy with this," the country music beauty admitted, especially thanking her fans who bought over a million copies of "Red" in the first week alone. She earlier took the stage to perform "22" live for the first time.
- Taylor Kinney Gives Lady GaGa 'Ultimatum' as She's Still Undecided About Wedding Details
- Kim Kardashian Steals the Show at Scott Disick's Birthday Party With Her Barely-There Lace Dress
- Proud Papa Chris Brown Shares Cute Pictures of Royalty to Celebrate Her Birthday
- Amanda Holden Poses Naked for Charity. See the Racy Pic!
- Bruno Mars Is Readying a New Album for November
- Mariah Carey's Diva Antics: She Has Her Glam Team Work on Her While She Sleeps
- Kim Kardashian Kicks Kanye West Out of Their Bel Air House. Why?
- Watch Andrew Lincoln and Norman Reedus Envision Lighter 'Walking Dead' in NBC's Red Nose Day Special