Mel Brooks to Receive the 41st AFI Life Achievement Award
Mel Brooks, best known for creating comic parodies such as "The Producers" and "Young Frankenstein", will be honored with the Life Achievement Award by American Film Institute (AFI) on June 6 at the Dolby Theater in Hollywood. The 86-year-old director has opened up about his feelings of finally earning the recognition.
"They're finally recognizing that I'm a pretty good director. They say, 'comedy force, funny, good writer, funny actor.' Nobody ever, in the press or anywhere, said I was a good director," Brooks confided to Reuters on May 16. Up to now, the partner of Carl Reiner on "The 2000 Year Old Man" has collected an Oscar, Emmy, Tony, and Grammy.
Being arguably recognized as a pioneer of combining humor and absurdity, Brooks then said, "I hope that, in some way, I've been responsible for the vulgarity that's filling the screens now. It's comedy." The mash-up is proven to be the recipe for success of most Hollywood comedies nowadays, including "Scary Movie" and "The Hangover".
Already turning "The Producers" and "Young Frankenstein" into Broadway musicals, Brooks is also thinking of making one for "Blazing Saddles", another comedy of him which ranks at No. 6 in the AFI's list of the top 100 comedy films of all-time. "A lot of it is musical already," he told Daily News.
A documentary of Brooks' life titled "American Masters Mel Brooks: Make a Noise" will be premiered by PBS on May 20.
- Watch: Louis Tomlinson Performs 'Just Hold On' in Honor of His Late Mother
- Jennifer Lawrence Apologizes to Hawaiian People for Joking About Sacred Rocks
- Tim Miller Opens Up on Why He Left 'Deadpool 2'
- Donald Trump Clarifies 'Apprentice' Rumors, Insists He Will Devote 'Zero Time' to the Show
- Tom Holland Enrolled in High School Under Fake Name for 'Spider-Man: Homecoming'
- Kylie Jenner Awkwardly Gets Turned Down When Trying to Carry Tyga's Son King Cairo
- Mandy Moore and Milo Ventimiglia Share Adorable 'This Is Us' Family Photos. See Who's Missing
- Ryan Reynolds Wants 'Deadpool' / 'Wolverine' Crossover to Happen