Sony Launches Angry Birds on Big Screen on July 1, 2016
The most addictive and popular game from Rovio Entertainment is jumping onto big screen. Sony Pictures Entertainment has recently announced that the studio has obtained the exclusive worldwide rights to animated film "Angry Birds", which is slated for a July 1, 2016 release.
"Every studio in town would love to add 'Angry Birds' to their slate. There are few titles out there that bring this kind of excitement, brand awareness and built-in audience to the table," Chairman and CEO of Sony Michael Lynton says in a joint statement with Co-Chairman of the studio Amy Pascal.
Announcing the partnership on May 15, Lynton then continues, "We're thrilled to be distributing this film and we hope this is just the beginning of what will be a long relationship with Rovio as we look for ways to work on future projects together."
CEO of Rovio Mikael Hed is also pleased with the partnership. "Sony impressed us with their great attitude, determination, and professionalism. They convinced us that we have found the right partners and team to help us market and distribute our first motion picture," he says. "[Sony teams] will be the best possible collaborators as we get set to take our franchise to the next level."
The much-anticipated animation will have "Despicable Me" producer John Cohen and "Iron Man" executive producer David Maisel on board. "We are very excited to join with Sony Pictures in presenting this movie to the world in 2016 and we will have many more announcements as we begin production in the coming months," they say in a statement.
The Sony feature marks the first time Rovio turns the fan-favorite game, which already has its animated TV series titled "Angry Birds Toons", into a big-screen version.
- Racist Men Charged for Hurling N-Word at Jamie Foxx
- Cate Blanchett Turns Into a Drag Queen for Charity
- See Mindy Transforming Into a Handsome White Man on 'The Mindy Project'
- Video of Harrison Ford Flying Over Commercial Plane Emerges
- Karlie Kloss Flashes Major Sideboob as She Goes Braless at a Charity Event
- Tom Brady's Missing Super Bowl Jersey Is Worth $500,000
- Jimmy Kimmel May Retire From Late-Night TV: 'I Have Very Little Free Time'
- 'The Flash' 3.14 Preview: Team Flash Is Ready to Battle Grodd and His Army