Sony Launches Angry Birds on Big Screen on July 1, 2016
The most addictive and popular game from Rovio Entertainment is jumping onto big screen. Sony Pictures Entertainment has recently announced that the studio has obtained the exclusive worldwide rights to animated film "Angry Birds", which is slated for a July 1, 2016 release.
"Every studio in town would love to add 'Angry Birds' to their slate. There are few titles out there that bring this kind of excitement, brand awareness and built-in audience to the table," Chairman and CEO of Sony Michael Lynton says in a joint statement with Co-Chairman of the studio Amy Pascal.
Announcing the partnership on May 15, Lynton then continues, "We're thrilled to be distributing this film and we hope this is just the beginning of what will be a long relationship with Rovio as we look for ways to work on future projects together."
CEO of Rovio Mikael Hed is also pleased with the partnership. "Sony impressed us with their great attitude, determination, and professionalism. They convinced us that we have found the right partners and team to help us market and distribute our first motion picture," he says. "[Sony teams] will be the best possible collaborators as we get set to take our franchise to the next level."
The much-anticipated animation will have "Despicable Me" producer John Cohen and "Iron Man" executive producer David Maisel on board. "We are very excited to join with Sony Pictures in presenting this movie to the world in 2016 and we will have many more announcements as we begin production in the coming months," they say in a statement.
The Sony feature marks the first time Rovio turns the fan-favorite game, which already has its animated TV series titled "Angry Birds Toons", into a big-screen version.
- Not a Wise Spender, Kylie Jenner Is Reportedly Nearly Broke
- 'Suicide Squad' Star Ike Barinholtz Welcomes Second Baby With Wife
- T.J. Miller Parties Hard in First 'Office Christmas Party' Trailer
- Watch Stephen Colbert Crash and Get Kicked Off DNC Stage During 'Hunger Games' Spoof
- Kendall Jenner on Freeing Her Nipples: 'I Don't See What the Big Deal Is'
- Mila Kunis Flaunts Baby Bump at 'Bad Moms' L.A. Premiere
- Aaron Rodgers Finally Addresses Brother Jordan's 'Bachelorette' Gig and Family Estrangement
- Lupita Nyong'o Reveals 'Black Panther' Plot Details