Michael Douglas Discusses Love Scene With Matt Damon in 'Candelabra'
Michael Douglas discusses his movie "Behind the Candelabra" and other topics in a May 20 issue of New York Magazine. The senior actor, whose TV movie will be premiered on HBO on May 26, sits in his Central Park West home for the interview. Some pictures in the spread show him wearing a soft pink robe in various poses.
Douglas plays the character of Liberace, a Las Vegas superstar in 1950s-1970s. Liberace is a gay who lives with his boyfriend, portrayed by Matt Damon. "I was the girl on this movie! The hair and makeup for Liberace took two and a half hours. I've never done elaborate hair and makeup before. Up until now, my entire career has been contemporary," he says of his character.
He also talks about his gay love scene with the "Invictus" actor. "Once you get that first kiss in, you are comfortable. Matt and I didn't rehearse the love scenes. We said, 'Well - we've read the script, havent we?' " he adds with a laugh. "The hardest thing about sex scenes is that everybody is a judge. I don't know the last time you murdered somebody or blew anyone's brains out, but everyone has had sex and probably this morning, which means everyone has an opinion on how it should be done," Douglas explains in regards to intimate scenes.
According to the movie's director Steven Soderbergh, Lee was very private in regards to his life, but people remember him as a nice man. Douglas, who once met him with his father in Palm Springs, has the same impression.
"What I mostly remember is Lee's TV show. Liberace talked directly to the camera - he was the first person to do that. He was having such a good time that he was contagious. For me, Lee's gayness didn't even enter the picture - you just wanted to share the good time with him. And he was nice. I was attracted to his sheer likability," Douglas concludes.
- Bob Dylan Called 'Arrogant' for Ignoring Nobel Prize Win
- 'Doctor Strange' Star Tilda Swinton Wants Her Own Marvel Movie
- Jay-Z Makes History as Nominee for 2017 Songwriters Hall of Fame
- Police Called to Larsa and Scottie Pippen's House Before Divorce Announcement
- Did Madonna Just Clap Back at Lady GaGa With This Meme?
- Leonardo DiCaprio to Play the Man Who Invented Rock and Roll in Sam Phillips Biopic
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie to Sell Their Chateau Miraval in France Amid Divorce
- Director Tim Miller Leaves 'Deadpool 2' Due to Creative Differences