Michael Douglas Discusses Love Scene With Matt Damon in 'Candelabra'
Michael Douglas discusses his movie "Behind the Candelabra" and other topics in a May 20 issue of New York Magazine. The senior actor, whose TV movie will be premiered on HBO on May 26, sits in his Central Park West home for the interview. Some pictures in the spread show him wearing a soft pink robe in various poses.
Douglas plays the character of Liberace, a Las Vegas superstar in 1950s-1970s. Liberace is a gay who lives with his boyfriend, portrayed by Matt Damon. "I was the girl on this movie! The hair and makeup for Liberace took two and a half hours. I've never done elaborate hair and makeup before. Up until now, my entire career has been contemporary," he says of his character.
He also talks about his gay love scene with the "Invictus" actor. "Once you get that first kiss in, you are comfortable. Matt and I didn't rehearse the love scenes. We said, 'Well - we've read the script, havent we?' " he adds with a laugh. "The hardest thing about sex scenes is that everybody is a judge. I don't know the last time you murdered somebody or blew anyone's brains out, but everyone has had sex and probably this morning, which means everyone has an opinion on how it should be done," Douglas explains in regards to intimate scenes.
According to the movie's director Steven Soderbergh, Lee was very private in regards to his life, but people remember him as a nice man. Douglas, who once met him with his father in Palm Springs, has the same impression.
"What I mostly remember is Lee's TV show. Liberace talked directly to the camera - he was the first person to do that. He was having such a good time that he was contagious. For me, Lee's gayness didn't even enter the picture - you just wanted to share the good time with him. And he was nice. I was attracted to his sheer likability," Douglas concludes.
- 'Modern Family' to Make History by Casting Transgender Child Actor
- New 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' Set Pic Sees Tom Holland Suiting Up as the Webslinger in Queens
- 'Scream Queens' 2.03 Preview Teases Bad Blood Between Chad and Brock
- Courteney Cox on Jennifer Aniston Dragged Into Brangelina Divorce: 'It's Not About Her'
- Rep Denies Lady GaGa Is Having Baby 'on Her Own'
- Get Your First Look at Nick Jonas in New 'Jumanji' Movie
- Report: Kourtney Kardashian Is Expecting Baby No. 4 With Scott Disick
- Taylor Swift's Squad Reportedly Abandons Her After Her 'Embarrassing Feuds and Breakups'