Popular Psychologist Joyce Brothers Dies at 85
Psychologist and TV personality Joyce Brothers died at the age of 85 on Monday, May 13 at her house in Fort Lee, New Jersey. Daughter Lisa Brothers Arbisser confirmed the sad news and said, "She passed away peacefully and in her home... with her family all around her." The cause of death wasn't immediately available.
Brothers was born in New York City on October 20, 1927 to parents who were both attorneys. She went to Cornell University and later earned her Ph.D. at Columbia University. In 1949, she got married to Milton Brothers, and six years later she gave up her teaching position at Hunter College and Columbia University to take care of her newborn.
At that time, her husband was still in medical school and she found it hard to live depending on her husband's residency income. She then entered a TV quiz show as a contestant. She appeared on "The $64,000 Question" and became the only woman -and the second person- to ever win the show's top prize.
She tried her luck again on "$64,000 Challenge". She answered each question correctly and was named one of the biggest winners in the history of TV quiz shows.
In 1956, she became host of "Sports Showast" and appeared frequently on multiple talk shows. In 1958, she hosted NBC's afternoon TV program where she advised on love, marriage, sex and childrearing. The show was a success and it led to late-night shows that highlighted taboo topics such as impotency and sexual enjoyment.
Brothers also appeared on many TV shows including "The Smothers Brothers", "Comedy Hour", "Happy Days", "Ally McBeal", "Beethoven's 4th", "Can Wilder" and "Analyze That".
Brothers is survived by her only daughter, Arbisser, four grandchildren and two grand-daughter.
- Lisa Marie Presley's Kids in State Custody After Indecent Child Pics Found on Ex's Computer
- Samuel L. Jackson Hints at Nick Fury's Appearance in 'Captain Marvel'
- Aaron Carter Responds to Racism Accusation After Onstage Brawl
- Angelina Jolie Takes Her 6 Kids to Cambodia Amid Brad Pitt Divorce and Custody Drama
- Zoe Saldana Gives Birth to Baby No. 3 With Marco Perego
- Royal Showdown! Kate Middleton Reportedly Feuding With Meghan Markle
- Camila Cabello Is 'Dying' to Enlist Taylor Swift for Debut Solo Album
- Donald Glover to Play Simba in 'The Lion King' Remake