'Iron Man 3' Stands Strong on Top of Box Office, Beats 'The Great Gatsby'
"Iron Man 3" secures the top spot at the North American box office in its second run. Raking in $72.5 million, the tale of an epic battle between Tony Stark and his archenemy Mandarin defeats newcomer "The Great Gatsby", which strongly debuts to $50.1 million in the second place.
Of the surprising outcome of the Jazz Age drama, Warner Bros. president of theatrical distribution Dan Fellman says, "We never expected to open this picture at this level." With Leonardo DiCaprio in the lead, the film mainly charms female audience by 59%. "We're going to have a nice, long healthy run," he confidently tells Reuters.
Plunging to the third place is bodybuilder feature "Pain and Gain", which takes in $5 million in its third week. Starring Mark Wahlberg, the Michael Bay flick is a rank higher than comedy "Peeples", another new release at the box office, which opens to $4.61 million.
Baseball pic "42", which is inspired by legend Jackie Robinson who wore jersey number 42, rounds up the top five with $4.6 million.
In other news, J.J. Abrams' "Star Trek Into Darkness", which will open across the nation on May 16, takes in $31.7 million in international markets, including Britain, Australia, Germany and surprisingly Mexico, which has "traditionally not been good at all."
"The 'Star Trek' TV show was known for its lower-budget visual effects, and the international audience in the past didn't connect to it," Rob Moore, Paramount's vice chairman, says. "Now the movie has a great combination of humanity and action that foreign markets can embrace."
Top Ten Movies at Box Office for May 10-12:
- "Iron Man 3" - $72.5 million
- "The Great Gatsby" - $50.1 million
- "Pain and Gain" - $5 million
- "Peeples" - $4.61 million
- "42" - $4.6 million
- "Oblivion" - $4.1 million
- "The Croods" - $3.6 million
- "Mud" - $2.53 million
- "The Big Wedding" - $2.5 million
- "Oz: The Great and Powerful" - $1.1 million
- Drake Reportedly Has 'Weed Overdose'
- Kanye West 'Would Love to Have More Kids' With Kim Kardashian
- Justin Bieber Facing Arrest in Brazil Over Graffiti Case
- Peter Parker Wants to Be Like Iron Man in New 'Spider-Man Homecoming' Trailer
- Kris Jenner and Corey Gamble Break Up
- Cuba Gooding Jr. Generates Online Outrage After Lifting Up Sarah Paulson's Skirt at PaleyFest
- New Footage of 'Blade Runner 2049' Is Screened at CinemaCon
- Nina Agdal Flaunts Her Enviable Figure in Skimpy Bikinis for New Swimwear Campaign