Disney Animation Debuts First Footage for Its Marvel Film 'Big Hero 6'
Walt Disney Animation Studios announces its first-time adaptation of a Marvel comic with the release of its first footage. Introduced on May 9, "Big Hero 6" features Hiro Hamada and his robot companion Baymax who join forces with other Marvel heroes on a mission to save their high-tech city San Fransokyo, as previewed in the snippet.
Director Don Hall reveals that the unique city, a mash-up of San Fransisco and Tokyo, is not even present in the original comic series. "Marvel properties take place in the real world [Japan]. We were looking for something to do where we could make our own world," he says. "Bring in the Japanese influences, have recognizable landmarks mashed up with a Japanese aesthetic."
Marvel Chief Creative Officer Joe Quesada, who's also involved in the project, is quite confident about Hall's interpretation of the comic. "He [Hall] understood what we did. I didn't have to explain our world to him," he says. "The relationship between Hiro and his robot has a very Disney flavor to it... but it's combined with these Marvel heroic arcs."
The animated film is set to be released in the United States on November 7, 2014. The film is inspired by 1998's "Sunfire & Big Hero 6", which features less-known heroes, including Silver Samurai, Sunfire, GoGo Tomago and Honey Lemon. The former will make appearance in Marvel's upcoming live-action film "The Wolverine", which sees the titular character on his trip to Japan.
- Find Out How Jaden Smith Tricked His Dad Will Smith Into Letting Him Drink on His Birthday
- Jean-Claude Van Damme Walks Out of TV Interview After Reporter Asks This Question
- Matt Damon Will Take a Break From Acting Next Year
- Kanye West Launches Twitter Rants About Apple and Tidal Beef
- Tyler Posey Clarifies 'I Am Gay' Snapchat Video, Apologizes for Fake Coming Out
- Nick Jonas Offered $2 Million to Perform at RNC
- Director Paul Feig Slams Sony for Deleting 'Ghostbusters' Pro-Hillary Tweet
- 'Game of Thrones' Set to End With Season 8, Spin-Off Plan Confirmed