'The Maze Runner' Unveils First Look at Creepy Labyrinth
Debuted via Entertainment Weekly, the first concept art for "The Maze Runner" gives the answer to fans' question of how menacing the labyrinth a.k.a. the glade can be. The pic captures intimidating look at towering walls covered with creepy vines, and a group of runners left behind in the empty corridor of the abandoned labyrinth.
The eerie image is apparently drawn from director Wes Ball's imagination. "It was for me, really. I like writing images. I started daydreaming about what it's like to be at those doors and looking up at those walls," says Ball, who previously served as a visual effects designer in 2010's "Beginners".
The first-time filmmaker later gives details about what the boys have to deal with behind the huge walls. "They have been trying to figure out how the hell to get out of this place and deal with the maze beyond the walls," he says. "The doors open in the morning and the boys have to get back before they close because nobody survives a night in the maze."
As for the only boy who is standing alone in the image, Ball reveals that it's Thomas, the film's lead character. "Thomas is the boy who takes that step forward when everybody else takes a step back," he says, before adding, "He's curious. That's partly perceived as a threat, but it actually may be the thing that gets him out."
The upcoming flick is a post-apocalyptic tale about a group of boys trapped in an enormous maze who seek their freedom. Starring Dylan O'Brien and Kaya Scodelario, the adaptation of James Dashner's novel is set to hit U.S. theaters on February 14, 2014.
- Bob Dylan Called 'Arrogant' for Ignoring Nobel Prize Win
- 'Doctor Strange' Star Tilda Swinton Wants Her Own Marvel Movie
- Jay-Z Makes History as Nominee for 2017 Songwriters Hall of Fame
- Police Called to Larsa and Scottie Pippen's House Before Divorce Announcement
- Did Madonna Just Clap Back at Lady GaGa With This Meme?
- Leonardo DiCaprio to Play the Man Who Invented Rock and Roll in Sam Phillips Biopic
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie to Sell Their Chateau Miraval in France Amid Divorce
- Director Tim Miller Leaves 'Deadpool 2' Due to Creative Differences