Leonardo DiCaprio Says He Almost Turned Down 'The Great Gatsby'
Leonardo DiCaprio admits in a new interview that he's not eager to lead "The Great Gatsby" when he was first offered the role. The "Django Unchained" actor explains on "Good Morning America" where his hesitance came from.
"I was reluctant," the Oscar-nominated actor opens up. "Because what's so powerful about this novel is everyone has their own interpretation of these characters." If it's not for director Baz Luhrmann who convinced him to accept the role, 38-year-old DiCaprio may have turned it down. "It's almost impossible to say 'no' to him," he says.
DiCaprio and Luhrmann have previously worked together on "Romeo and Juliet". Even after two projects, the director still wants the "Inception" actor for his possible next picture.
"To me, Gatsby is the American Hamlet," he gushes to The Hollywood Reporter in a separate interview. "What else could we possibly do as a follow-up? It's just a dream at this point."
"The Great Gatsby" will be released in theaters on May 10. It follows Fitzgerald-like, would-be writer Nick Carraway, portrayed by Tobey MaGuire, as he leaves the Midwest and comes to New York City to chase his own American Dream.
He lands next door to a mysterious, party-giving millionaire, Jay Gatsby, and across the bay from his cousin, Daisy, and her philandering, blue-blooded husband, Tom Buchanan. It is thus that Nick is drawn into the captivating world of the super rich, their illusions, loves and deceits.
- Amanda Seyfried and Husband Thomas Sadoski Welcome Their First Child
- Orlando Bloom's Holiday Companion Kristy Hinze Suffers Nip Slip in St. Barts
- Iggy Azalea Twerks All Over Hong Kong in 'Mo Bounce' Music Video
- Wonder Woman and Cyborg Unleash Their Powers in 'Justice League' New Teasers
- Kanye West Is Spoiling Kim Kardashian With Jewelries, but She 'Won't Wear Any of It'
- Topless Bella Thorne Channels Marilyn Monroe in Sultry Pic
- Kim Kardashian Is Blamed for 'Keeping Up with the Kardashians' Rating Flop
- Baby Groot Angrily Kills Ravager in New 'Guardians of the Galaxy 2' Teaser