David Bowie's 'The Next Day' Video Back on YouTube After Short Ban
David Bowie fans can now breathe a sigh of relief after the legendary glam-rock singer's controversial video for new single "The Next Day" has been put back on video hosting site YouTube. The three-minute clip was pulled shortly after it was released online on Wednesday, May 8 for reportedly violating YouTube's terms of service, but the site's bosses confessed to having made a "wrong call" and decided to reinstate the video with an adults-only rating.
The short ban was apparently made based on the religious theme of avante-garde filmmaker Floria Sigismondi's video, where Bowie is made to look as a Christ-like character singing in a bar filled with other familiar character references to the Christian faith such as a nun, a self-flagellating monk, and a cardinal handing out cash to several half-naked women.
Critically-acclaimed actor Gary Oldman plays a priest who picks up a prostitute portrayed by actress Marion Cotillard who develops the Stigmata while dancing with Oldman, spewing out blood on a topless dancer. After all the commotion, Bowie thanks everyone in the pub then disappears out of thin air, contentiously depicting Christ's ascension.
"With the massive volume of videos on our site, sometimes we make the wrong call," a YouTube representative said about their quick action regarding Bowie's new video. "When it's brought to our attention that a video has been removed mistakenly, we act quickly to reinstate it."
More David Bowie News
- Macklemore Fighting His Demons in 'Drug Dealer' Music Video
- Gerard Butler Set to Return as Mike Banning in 'Angel Has Fallen'
- Bruno Mars Describes Adele as Diva: 'She's Got All This Attitude'
- Kim Kardashian Filming 'Keeping Up with the Kardashians' Backstage at Kanye West's Concert
- Katy Perry Celebrates 32nd Birthday by Voting for Hillary Clinton and Hitting Kanye West's Concert
- 'Knight Rider' Gets Reboot From Producer Justin Lin
- Donnie Wahlberg, and Not Kim K., Sets Guiness World Record for Most Selfies in 3 Minutes
- Benedict Cumberbatch Channels Doctor Strange to Diagnose the Avengers in New Promo Clip