Family Holds a Public Viewing for Chris Kelly in Atlanta
Chris Kelly's family members and friends were present at Murray Brothers Funeral Home, Atlanta, on Wednesday, May 8 for the late rapper's public viewing. Kelly's funeral service is scheduled to be held at Atlanta's Jackson Memorial Baptist Church on Thursday, May 9.
TMZ reported that in the public viewing, mourners were listened to an instrumental version of "Jump", Kris Kross' most successful single, as they walked to greet Kelly's coffin. The rapper, who died at the age of 34, was dressed in a black suit, white shirt and a pink tie.
Kelly's uncle, Lemar Williams, was among other mourners and expressed his sadness. Saying that his nephew loved his family and was devoted to his mother and grandmother, Williams said outside the funeral home, "He will be very missed, especially within our family. To the world he was Kris Kross, but to us he was just Chris."
The producer who discovered Kris Kross, Jermaine Dupri, wasn't anywhere to be seen at the public viewing. Kelly's friend and partner in the rap group, Chris Smith, wasn't present either. A source said that Smith was still trying to pull himself together since he was still taking his friend's death hard.
Kelly was pronounced dead at an Atlanta hospital after being found unresponsive in his house on Wednesday, May 1. Police who investigated the case suspected that the Kelly died from drug overdose after mother Donna Kelly Pratte admitted that his son took a mixture of cocaine and heroin the night before he died.
- Derek Hough and Tony Dovolani Not Returning for 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 24
- Colton Haynes to Make Live Singing Debut in Tribute Performance for George Michael
- 'Jurassic World 2' First Set Photo Arrives as Filming Begins
- Behati Prinsloo Wows on First Post-Baby Runway Show at Milan Fashion Week
- A Green Lantern Is Reportedly Confirmed in 'Justice League'
- New Photos Seem to Confirm Diane Kruger and Norman Reedus' Romance Rumors
- 'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.': Is Nick Blood Returning in Season 4?
- Happy 'Twin Peaks' Day! Showtime Unveils Posters for Revival