Carrie Underwood to Take Over Faith Hill as Singer of 'Sunday Night Football' Theme
Country singer and "American Idol" season three winner Carrie Underwood would be singing NBC's "Sunday Night Football" opening theme when the new season kicks off this September, the network announced on Tuesday. The 30-year-old artist replaces fellow country music diva Faith Hill who had handled the singing chores on "Waiting All Day for Sunday Night" since 2007.
Deciding earlier during the off season that it was time to relinquish her responsibility on one of TV's most-watched programs, Hill ended her six-year stint as the theme singer. The show's executive producer, Fred Gaudelli, said Underwood was their first and only choice to take Hill's place.
"I am thrilled to be a part of NBC's Sunday Night Football and am so honored they asked me," said Underwood, who is a confessed sports fan, being herself married to a professional athlete, hockey player Mike Fisher. "I have always loved football season, and it is so exciting to now become part of it every Sunday night!"
The Grammy Award-winning Underwood will make her "SNF" debut on September 8 when the home team, the Dallas Cowboys, takes on the New York Giants. She's no longer a stranger to the NFL, having performed at the Super Bowl back in 2010 when she was tapped to sing the national anthem.
The "SNF" opening theme had evolved from Hank Williams Jr.'s "All My Rowdy Friends Are Coming over Tonight" which he reworked to come up with the theme for the then "Monday Night Football" program back in 1989.
More Carrie Underwood News
- Meghan Markle Wants Prince Harry to Build Her 'Enormous' Shoe Room at Kensington Palace
- Kylie Jenner Licks Khloe Kardashian's Chest in Saucy Pic for 'KUWTK' 10th Anniversary
- Hacker Threatens to Leak 'Orange Is the New Black' Season 5 Unless Netflix Pays Ransom
- Sean Paul Connects With Migos for Epic Beach Party in New Video for 'Body'
- Justin Bieber 'Loves' Popping His Pimples Just to Get Attention
- 'Avengers: Infinity War' Will Be Set in Hogwarts Stand-In Location
- Brad Pitt to Have Plactic Surgery as Angelina Jolie Divorce Ruins His Appearance
- ABC's 'Gong Show' Reboot Taps Tommy Maitland or Presumably Mike Myers in Disguise to Host