Honey Boo Boo's Parents Mama June and Sugar Bear Are Not Legally Married
Although the invites obtained by TMZ clearly said that June Shannon, 33, and Mike Thompson, 41, would love to have their family and close friends to witness their "marriage vows," there was no marriage license signed. E! News confirmed the backyard gathering that was caught on camera Sunday, May 5 was just a commitment ceremony.
Although it was not really a wedding ceremony, Mama June and Sugar Bear who first met in an online chat room nine years ago were more than happy to celebrate their love with their closed ones. "It had all of the fanfare and it was nice," a source said. "They were very happy. They had all their family. It was like regular wedding ceremony."
The "Here Comes Honey Boo Boo" family held the ceremony on the Cinco de Mayo day in the backyard of their Georgia home. Mama June wore a camouflage gown with orange trim and ribbon, while Sugar Bear donned a matching suit with orange vest. Their 7-year-old daughter, Alana Thompson, looked pretty in a pink ruffled dress.
The other daughters, Lauryn "Pumpkin" Shannon, Anna "Chickadee" Shannon and Jessica "Chubbs" Shannon, were there as well to witness the special day. "The day was very special mostly because my girls were able to take part in it," June told PEOPLE. "I felt like it was important for them to see this moment and celebrate my love for Sugar Bear."
The ceremony which was taped for the family's reality series on TLC was followed by a rowdy family barbecue. "My sister baked the cake, and we spent most of the money on barbecue," she continued. "We stayed true to our roots and made the focus on the family and my commitment to Sugar Bear. You can definitely plan an event on a budget!"
After the reception that included a roasted pig and an inflatable slide, the couple drove off on a mud-encrusted all-terrain four-wheeler. She ditched her dress and he traded his suit for a less-formal outfit consisting of camouflage T-shirts and khakis. A handwritten "Just Married" sign and an assortment of tin cans and streamers were affixed to its rear bumper.
Rumor has it, the family gets a cool six-figure sum to have the ceremony broadcast on the TLC show set to return on TV starting July 17.
More Here Comes Honey Boo Boo News
- Jamie Bell in Talks to Be the New James Bond
- First Look at Katherine Waterston's Daniels in 'Alien: Covenant' Image
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Plan $10M Lawsuit to Silence Former Bodyguard
- Justin Bieber Spotted on Dinner Date With Nicola Peltz
- Take a Peek at Gwen Stefani's 'Misery' Music Video in This Teaser
- Miranda Lambert Closes Her Boutique, Sells Building to Ex-Husband Blake Shelton
- 'DWTS' Pro Peta Murgatroyd and Maksim Chmerkovskiy Expecting First Child, but Something Upset Them
- Ben Affleck Gives Jennifer Garner 11-Carat Diamond Ahead of Their Anniversary - Is It True?