'Iron Man 3' Posts Record With Second Best Opening Weekend
Following a great success in international box office, Shane Black's "Iron Man 3" this time rules domestically by landing on the top spot of North American box office in its first week. Taking in $174.1 million, the Marvel film posts the second biggest opening weekend behind "The Avengers", which opened to $207.4 million in April 2012.
"It is an extraordinary start," Disney executive VP of distribution Dave Hollis tells Reuters. "The start on the U.S. side is something that we are exceptionally proud of." Ray Subers of Box Office Mojo says that "IM3" success factor is placed on the fact that moviegoers considered the film more as a follow-up to "The Avengers" than as a sequel to "Iron Man 2", which was less well-received by critics and fans.
Last week's conqueror "Pain and Gain" tumbles down to the second place. Earning $20.2 million last week, the Michael Bay film about bodybuilders turning into criminals to change their lives bags $7.5 million in its second run.
"42", a tale of baseball legend Jackie Robinson who wore jersey number 42, secures the third place in its fourth week with $6.05 million, while "Oblivion plunges to No. 4 by taking in $5.6 million. DreamWorks' comedy "The Croods" rounds up the top five with $4.2 million.
Top Ten Movies at Box Office for May 3-5:
- "Iron Man 3" - $174.1 million
- "Pain and Gain" - $7.5 million
- "42" - $6.05 million
- "Oblivion" - $5.6 million
- "The Croods" - $4.2 million
- "The Big Wedding" - $3.9 million
- "Mud" - $2.2 million
- "Oz: The Great and Powerful" - $2.1 million
- "Scary Movie 5" - $1.4 million
- "The Place Beyond the Pines" - $1.3 million
- Police Called to Larsa and Scottie Pippen's House Before Divorce Announcement
- Did Madonna Just Clap Back at Lady GaGa With This Meme?
- Leonardo DiCaprio to Play the Man Who Invented Rock and Roll in Sam Phillips Biopic
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie to Sell Their Chateau Miraval in France Amid Divorce
- Director Tim Miller Leaves 'Deadpool 2' Due to Creative Differences
- Wait... What? Is Tiger Woods Saying He Doesn't Regret Cheating on Elin Nordegren?
- Marvel Pulls 'Invincible Iron Man' Cover After Accusations of 'Sexualizing' Its Underage Hero
- No More Sexy Selfies? Kim Kardashian Is Re-Emerging 'More Covered Up' and 'Less Make-Up'