Lil Wayne Loses PepsiCo Endorsement Over Emmett Till Lyric Controversy
Young Money's mogul Lil Wayne will need to remove the entry Mountain Dew endorser from his resume now that PepsiCo has dropped him from their roster. The decision came within just a couple of days after the Cash Money Records boss issued a formal apology letter to the family of Emmett Till for his derogatory lyrical reference to the slain civil rights icon in the track "Karate Chop".
In a statement released to the press on Friday, May 3, PepsiCo announced that it's cutting off its ties with Wayne over his "offensive reference to a revered civil rights icon" which "does not reflect the values of our brand." Earlier this week, the Tills had urged the soda company to end its endorsement deal with the New Orleans rapper for his disparaging lyrical reference.
The YMCMB leader is apparently taking it in stride, with his publicist saying it was an amicable parting of ways between him and PepsiCo. Although his apology letter was not favorably received by the Till Family, Weezy had acknowledged the hurt he had caused them and had promised "not use or reference Emmett Till or the Till family in his music."
Just a few days ago, Pepsi Co pulled their latest Mountain Dew ad developed by rapper Tyler, The Creator featuring his hip-hop collective Odd Future Wolf Gang Kill Them All for depicting racial stereotypes and making light of violence against women. In a similar lyric-related controversy, Maybach Music mogul Rick Ross was also recently dropped by Reebok for his date rape lyrics on Rocko's track "U.O.N.E.O."
More Lil Wayne News
- Drama 'Super Family' Is Under Fire for Using Jessica Jung's Name as a Deceased
- Orlando Bloom Spotted Having Dinner With Mysterious Brunette
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' New Season 3 Promo Shows How Brutal Survival Is
- Orlando Bloom Broke Noomi Rapace's Nose on 'Unlocked' Filming Set
- 'X-Men' TV Pilot 'Gifted' Reveals First Look at Stan Lee Cameo
- Travis Scott Dating Kylie Jenner Is Career Suicide, His Pals Think
- Not Pleased With Her Body, Kendall Jenner Is Dying to Be Like Emily Ratajkowski
- Nicki Minaj to Release a Surprise Project on Tidal